IGNORED

? for those who put 240 bumper on 280

cozye

I understand that the existing holes that the rubber side pieces currently mount to, will accept the mounting bolt for the side of the 240 bumpers front and rear. My question is what do you use to keep the bumper from scratching the paint?

MSA list "bumper end shims"

rear

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/SBUC01B03

front

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/SBUC01A08

Is this what I need?

I'm trying to get what I need together as I'm getting ready to send my 240 bumpers off to chrome and I'm timing it so that I can get these mounted while prepping for paint and be ready for final mount once paint is done. I don't want to be scratching shiat up in the process.

I solid mounted the 72 bumpers to my 76. On the rear sides, I used a rubber washer, about 1/4" thick, right on the mounting bolt between the body and the bumper tab. On the front, I installed some clear 3M film to protect the paint, and then pulled the bumper as tight to the body work as I could.

I have the front bumper pulled in really tight to the body for the look I wanted.

95776202_vj5ar-M.jpg

180995781_2JVDm-M.jpg

Edited by cygnusx1

I have always like the way the 240Z bumpers look on a 280Z when done right. One thing that I have never seen (in person or even a picture of) is a 280Z with 240Z bumpers, 240Z grille, 240Z lower front valences and the 240 turn signal lights mounted down below in the L and R valences instead of the standard 280Z turn signals mounted in the grill.

As we all know, the big bumpers were an after-thought due to the US Federal safety regulations and the front turn signals were placed in the grill on the 280Z so they could be seen and wouldn't be blocked by the monster bumpers.

This modification would make the 280Z look a lot cleaner, the way the S30 was originally designed.

^I have a late 260Z that I am installing 240Z fiberglass bumpers (sold chrome ones) and I have an msa air dam for a 240Z with the turn signals below the bumper. Hopefully I will have some pictures in a few months after the install of my flares.

I believe my air dam is a Xenon. I bought it over 20 years ago from a place in NY called Impact Parts. I remember driving the Z there and then stuffing the spoiler in the hatch to bring it home. It is urethane which is why it has lasted so long. ;)

Edited by cygnusx1