Jacking the rear end? - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Jacking the rear end?

Featured Replies

Is it ok to jack up the rear end of my 1970 240Z from under the differential? I have been doing this to get her up on jack stands. I just don't want to damage anything. Is this a problem?

Mike

That's what the FSM recommends.

-Mike

post-9102-14150812591029_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150812591248_thumb.jpg

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Make sure the lifting pad is centered and/or not too big or you'll crush your exhaust pipe.

  • Author
Make sure the lifting pad is centered and/or not too big or you'll crush your exhaust pipe.

That was a concern. I have a larger pad that I have to position carefully to missed the exhaust.

Mike

So once it's up, where do I put the jack stands. Assuming Im going to be working on the front suspension or rear diff?

The best place I have found is just outboard of the front diff crossmember. The body has a nice, strong square section that the crossmember bolts to. I angle the jack stands slightly to avoid the lower control arms. This location allows work on everything without them getting in the way.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.