IGNORED

Dream Garage Poster

Bruce Palmer

Hi Guys

The dream garage was the second big thing I worked on for Nissan back in 96 right after the Z car rallye around america. We were asked to round up about 10 -12 cars that are in the dream garage set. I was there many days and was amazed that I could drive right onto Sony studios lot and go right to the sound stage to help or advise or just hang out and watch. My friends and I actually got paid to put our 4 roadsters and 1 early 212 fairlady 1 patrol, 2 510s(besides the BRE car) the 1962 bluebird,Johnnies Z,Herve's Z and they came to my shop and started grabbing many items to put on all the tables that you see in the backround and the new 2000 engine for the Bob Bondurant Roadster is sitting there on a stand. Lot's of little things in the office area. This commercial was designed to have the 3 lead up 30 second spots spaced out several months before the main spot which was at the time the longest commercial at 2 minutes slated to be shown during the 1996 Atlanta Olympics and there was talk the kid in the spot would be the next big star. never heard of him again. The story was also that Nissan supposedly purchased the set dressing and was supposed to put it all back up in the Peterson Museum where they had the top floor but who knows if it was ever true to begin with. This whole episode turned into one thing after another including the Dream garage poster and they sent a professional writer down to my shop and we discussed all the older cars and I told some of the stories that even the people at Nissan had no idea of about Mr.K most of the writeups about the older cars came from these discussions and I am now wondering the truth about the company starting to use Mr K after seeing him at his american birthday party in 1994 where he told the president of Nissan not to let the fairlady Z become the fatlady which of course is what happened. Also during the shooting of the commercial I was standing on the steps of the phony office looking out into the dream garage and was suddenly surrounded by 3 guys all were presidents of Nissan North America and infinity and they started to conversations about whether we could do the Z car program and I said yes but it would be dependent on the parts situation and they asked what do you mean and I said that you have been crushing slow moving parts for many years and they looked at each other and said can we do anything about that and I kinda shook my head. The next week I was invited up to Nissan to give an overview of what it would take and we set up an outline of the program. Those were the good old days when we used to host parties at my shop with all the famous racers, early Datsun employees and Mr K was there for 4 of our parties until he started attending the Z conventions in 98 we sure had it good back then. Oh Well just thought some of you may want to know the truth about some of the story.

Les

• 1 year later...

I know I'm about a year late on this thread but I just had to put my 2 cents in on this. I remember this commercial from when I was growing up. Nissan has been my world for as long as I can remember. Their cars, and commercials moved me. Their class, style, heart, and soul have kept my affection throughout my life. I am rarely passionate about anything in life the way I am about Nissan. I've owned well over 20 Nissans over the last 6 years, and when I'm looking for a new car I don't even bother looking anywhere else. However there are many days when I feel like Nissan is a ghost of it's former self. I have spent many a night up late sitting in my garage with my Zs contemplating where Nissan is headed. I wish more than anything that I could have been a part of Nissan in the earlier years. Thoughts of seeing the now vintage Zs when they were brand new fills me with such a sense of longing. I wish I worked for Nissan but alas I dont have enough of an education to even be considered. I hate to see what is becoming of the car company that I love with all my heart. I want nothing more than to restore that sense of passion that cars like the Z used to posses. I dont know perhaps this is nothing more than the ramblings of a man who so deperately want to be a part of the thing he loves so much. I think what I was trying to say is thank you for posting this thread. I really brought back all the memories of why I love this company. Thank you. And may I also say that those of you who were actually able to meet Mr.K are truly blessed. I cant begin to tell you what I would do just to have a drink with him and listen to his stories. Thank you so much.

they'd like if it all go away since "Datsun" and any race history was unwanted in the new Nissan.
That's odd. Nissan did the GT Academy a bout a year ago, and the winner got a job driving for the Nissan GT race team! I supposed they couldn't predict their own future.

I too sometimes think of what a 2012 "skinny" Z would look like, with all the emissions and safety requirements you have to heap on it. Do you think a car without a/c, turbocharging, "premium audio," power windows & seats, or subwoofers would sell?

Edited by TomoHawk

I too sometimes think of what a 2012 "skinny" Z would look like, with all the emissions and safety requirements you have to heap on it. Do you think a car without a/c, turbocharging, "premium audio," power windows & seats, or subwoofers would sell?

I'll tell you what it would look like; it's called the Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ. Look it up if you're unfamiliar, but it's the truest 240 successor in a long time.

Might as well lump the Toyota GT 86 in with those also. There will never be a true modern successor to the 240Z. What else do you all want to discuss in this thread since the OP got his answer as well as any meaningful commentary on the subject in 2010?

@Godfoot, the member who originally awakened the thread: You couldn't really have "remembered this commercial from when you were growing up", as you stated if you were born in 1984 as it says in your profile......

Edited by sblake01