IGNORED

73 240z shuts off while driving

raltz

Try plugging off your return fuel line right at the end of the fuel rail (don't cut your current fuel hose - get a new piece of fuel line and plug it with a bolt and re attach) - you could have an issue with the return. If it runs ok after that you will have to dig into your fuel system.

Keep us posted with your updates

Did you try the plugged fuel line?

If that did fix it - the complete solution is the flow guide valve (I just corrected the one on my car) - check out the FSM and there is a detailed picture on how the hoses are to be attached - not saying that is what is wrong with your car but it could correct your challange. If you reconnect your flow guide valve be sure to hook back up your fuel rail return the way it should be

IMO

thank you "travel'n man" and everyone else helping, i never got a chance to try your advice, right now i sent my starter away to get either repaired or replaced.

but as soon i get either my new starter or repaired starter back, then i can go back and try your advice

i will keep you posted, and thank you!!!

I'm feeling a litttle lazy today and didn't read all the posts so if someone already said this I apologize for repeating.

I had the same issue as others have noted.

Once it was the coil connection, once it was a clogged filter and once it was the pickup in the fuel tank.

When it was the coil, the engine died like someone turned the key.

The filter was more of a loss of power and then died.

The fuel pickup was more like the coil problem. You stated that the car would start right back up once it died.

That doesn't sound like the coil connection.

When the pickup gets blocked, fuel flow stops. When the engine dies suction at the pickup stops, this will allow fuel flow until the pickup gets blocked again.

My two cents.

Edited by 2-4-T-Z-MAN

I have a 78Z and I struggled with the same problem for years. Only good thing is that I have MANY new parts due to troubleshooting. I finally changed out the ECU and success!! Wish I would have done it years ago! I put in a used one from "The Z Barn" for about $75.They are great if you have never used them. Good luck