IGNORED

73 240z shuts off while driving

raltz

hello i have the same problem as posted by another member, it sounds exactly the same, but another member told me my solution is probably different because mine is not fuel injected,

i drive the car and when i go about 40, the car just shuts off, like someone just turned the key on me, the car will fire right back up when i go to re start it, as if nothing happened, then it will happen again.

i just placed a new filter in, before i drove it, so i don't think it could be clogged, but i'll check,

its crazy cause prior to this i had had starting problems, and people where saying to see if the fuel filter was clogged, and after looking and looking for it, i noticed the previous owner took out the fuel filter and ran a hose from the tank straight to the fuel pump...now based on my hanse manual, it looks like im suppose to have the hose that goes from the fuel tank, to the filter, then from the filter to the fuel pump...just wondering does that sound right?

Yes it does. The fuel from the tank goes into a see through filter, then to the fuel pump, to the carb inlets. Inside each carb inlet lid should be a brass filter. Remove the fuel inlet bolt on the carb lid, remove brass filter and clean it. This is for SU carbs.

Bonzi Lon

THANK YOU very much i will try that,

but i was wondering does it matter on how the filter is mounted or sitting?

what i mean is that the filter came with small fuel hose, and i have that fuel hose going from the tank to the bottom of the filter, but cause its so small the filter sits sideways, and then the hose from the top of the filter to the pump.

should that matter that it sits sideways

ok, so i just want to make sure i connect it correctly after getting a longer fuel hose,

it should go from the tank, to the top of the fuel filter, then a hose from the bottom of the fuel filter to the fuel pump..

and i should make sure the filter sits up right...

thank you

@ darrel, wow i did not know there was a filter inside of the pump, everytime i read through manuals it kept saying that i should be able to see through the casing to see the filter inside, and then with a diagram from my manual it showed that there should be a filter by the tank, and when i purchased the car there was no filter by the tank.

i do have a fuel pump by the tank, i didn't know there was another on the engine, can you tell me specifically where to look, and what it should look like

im pretty sure the fuel pump by the tank is still stock, it looks aged, so would i have to replace the whole fuel pump or should i be able to remove the fuel pump, and replace just the filter?

Sorry for all the questions everybody...thanks again for your guys' help!

thank you