IGNORED

Over Revved and no compression

zdude1967

The other day I had my 260 out and the pedal got stuck under the floor mat. In any case it revved pretty high before I could release it. Now I have a loud valve tap and the # 5 cylinder seems to have lost compression. I did not do a compression test but rather a simple finger over the spark plug hole.

Could I have bent a valve? It over revved for maybe 20 to 30 seconds. Can these Z engines typically have piston to valve contact. The head was rebuilt 500 miles ago, timing chain etc all new.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

Glenn

The other day I had my 260 out and the pedal got stuck under the floor mat. In any case it revved pretty high before I could release it. Now I have a loud valve tap and the # 5 cylinder seems to have lost compression. I did not do a compression test but rather a simple finger over the spark plug hole.

Could I have bent a valve? It over revved for maybe 20 to 30 seconds. Can these Z engines typically have piston to valve contact. The head was rebuilt 500 miles ago, timing chain etc all new.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

Glenn

A lash pad could be cocked and holding a valve open. I'd pull the valve cover and take a peek.

Steve

Pull the cover, I will bet a cup of coffee that you popped a rocker off, maybe even two. I routinely take my Z to 7k rpm, the rev limiter is set to 7100 and occasionally I pop a rocker off. FWIW, at my last race I spent most of the time between 6200-7000 in 3rd or 4th gear. While it is certainly possible you may have damaged something, it is unlikely.

If you haven't driven it, the lash pad(s) is probably lying in the head.

Re-adjust your valves, factory settings, and I will bet you will be fine. I ran 13 laps of a race on 5 cylinders, I popped #5's intake and exhaust rockers off. They were lying in the head and the lash pads made it to the pan. Replaced everything, re-adjusted the valves Compression test and leakdowns were good enough to race the same engine another 6 months.

YMMV,

Paul

Could I have bent a valve? It over revved for maybe 20 to 30 seconds.

I said valve float could be a possibility. Pedal stuck, revved pretty high for 20 to 30 seconds, etc.

A popped rocker would not cause a loud tap; a cocked rocker could but if the rocker is lying in top of the head if would not tap. If a rocker popped off the cylinder would build pressure as well as the valve would always be closed.

Pull the valve cover and take a look. It could be a loose rocker, cocked rocker, etc. I would also run a compression test to verify your assumption. If #5 is low, run a leak down (or just run a leak down test first).

Edited by ktm

The number 4 intake and both # 5 were loose.

I guess what I was/am hoping for is some issue in the head that can be corrected with the head on...bound springs or something. The lash pads seem fine, the rockers do not seem to be bent, I would have to remove them to make sure. My understanding is the leak down test will determine where the compression is going, exhaust, intake or rings/piston. My goal at this point is to hopefully determine the cause to be in the head and able to repair without head removal.Can these engines make piston to valve contact without snapping the timing chain.

Glenn

Can these engines make piston to valve contact without snapping the timing chain.

Glenn

Yes, which is why I said valve float. Google valve float for a better understanding.

However, I am not saying you experienced valve float only that valve float can cause piston to valve contact. If the rockers were loose then that could explain the louder tap. When I had a hydraulic lifter collapse on my L28ET it was a very loud tap.

Do a compression test or preferably a leak down test. We are only guessing at this point. A finger over the hole is not really a valid test. :)

You probably did bend a valve if you've got stock valve springs. Just run a compression check......if you bent a valve, you'll read "0" in that cylinder. If you put your finger over the plug hole and it didn't push compressed air against your finger, my guess is you're running "0" compression in that cylinder.