IGNORED

1973 240Z Refreshtoration – 901 Silver

motorman7

I really like the darker blue on the engine, it looks perfect with the CAD yellow pieces.

Your "refreshtoration" is starting to looking like a "restoration".........

Hi Randy,

The color is actually the correct Nissan blue. It just looks a bit dark in the above pics due to the lighting. Here are the pics before install- the color is shown better here. Thanks for the complements. :)

Rich

post-19125-14150812480581_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150812481203_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150812481805_thumb.jpg

Usually, when I want to go 13 miles, I take the Z. However this weekend I will be running in the LA 1/2 marathon, so I won't get much done with the car. This will be my first 1/2 marathon, so we will see how it goes.

I did just a couple small things last night. Got the brake booster on. I believe this is the original brake booster with original decal. Tried to clean it up as best I could. The decal has some dots on it, but it did clean up well. Re-painted the booster gloss black.

Also got the mirror on. I got this new from Banzai motorworks. Was not as hard to put on as I thought it would be. I've seen threads on this subject. Had to remove the chrome strip on the door to get this on. Started the securing nut by putting my hand through the top slot. Tightened the nut with a 1/2" socket on a swivel feeding through the door inside slot. Worked pretty well.

post-19125-14150812483138_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150812483747_thumb.jpg

I've found it real easy to get to the mirror mounting nut by reaching up through the bottom opening. Start by raising the window all the way up. The trick is to put your hand and arm in parallel to the bottom of the door, then rotate your arm up to where the mirror mounts. A small ratchet or a rachet-type box wrench will fit up there to remove/install the nut. I took a couple of photos to illustrate...

post-6323-14150812512908_thumb.jpg

post-6323-14150812513211_thumb.jpg

Is that the later model, larger brake booster? Looks like it from the pic. That's what I put in mine and I could tell the difference in pedal pressure.

Yes, this one is different than the replacement I have in my '71. The '71 is smaller diameter and a bit longer. This is larger diameter. It was working well so I will keep it on.

Where are you getting all the metal work done? It looks like your getting everything in an alcad type coating. looks very nice.

Thanks, I do it myself with the Caswell kit.

I've found it real easy to get to the mirror mounting nut by reaching up through the bottom opening. Start by raising the window all the way up. The trick is to put your hand and arm in parallel to the bottom of the door, then rotate your arm up to where the mirror mounts. A small ratchet or a rachet-type box wrench will fit up there to remove/install the nut. I took a couple of photos to illustrate...

Not sure if that will work in the '73. It looks like there are some channels on the inside of the door that I have not seen on my '71 (I saw them on the passenger side, guessing they are also on the drivers side. I think these were added to improve crash resistance.

PS: finished the 1/2 marathon in 2:05:41. Not bad for my first 1/2 marathon. Still debating on if I ever want to try that again. :ermm:

Edited by motorman7

What finish are you using from the Caswell system?

I use this one: http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/zinc.htm

After the zinc plate, I do a 20 second blue chromate dip to get more of the rainbow effect, then a 2 minute yellow chromate dip. Rinse in warm bucket of water and light air dry with 15 psi of compressor air.

Boy, this is taking a while. Too many things going on in life. Had the half marathon last week, moving in-laws this week and next. Not getting my car time in. It is a bit frustrating.

I was able to do a little bit last Thursday. Got the Brake master cylinder in, cleaned up the drivers side shock tower, zinced the coil bracket and other parts.

Got some emblems in from e-bay. Got the hood emblem and both rear hatch emblems for under $80. Not bad. Only prob was that the hood emblem had no pins. I made a simple bracket to fit inside with two #4-40 screws attached to the plate. secured the bracket to the emblem with gorilla glue. Used two keps nuts to secure it to the hood. Works very well and it is removable.

I put the hatch emblems on, the rear opener button, and the rear glass. The back end is looking nice.

Just have to keep pluggin away bit by bit on this.

Add $80 for the emblems and $125 for a carpet kit and now I am up to $5229.

post-19125-14150812597095_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150812597795_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150812598396_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150812598988_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150812599594_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150812600285_thumb.jpg

Edited by motorman7