IGNORED

Numbers..aren't matching?

JohnnyP

Actually, that car as titled and VIN stamped is illegal in every state. You need to correct this before the car gets impounded as part of a normal traffic stop. And don't be surprised if one of the VIN numbers your dealing with comes with a lot of back DMV fees, has a salvage title, or is a stolen car.

So I have a car with the proper VIN stamped on the firewall, and its engine number matches? But it has a set of 72 240z plates (engine and door jamb), as well as the 240 VIN on the title? How does this get fixed...

I would say that you have a 1976 280Z based on the VIN on the firewall and the look of the car. No one can say for sure if the engine matches (is original to the car) without the original engine bay data plate, which you don't have. If you have the owners manual or original documents like the window sticker the original engine number might be listed on there. The engine number (L28-084935) does look like it is correct for a 1976 280Z though. The engine bay and door jamb VIN plates you have are from a 1972 (1/72 production) 240Z.

As far as getting it fixed. I guess the only way would be to call your local DMV and see what they say. You might not like the answer though. I guess the best scenario would be if they check out the VINs (both 1972 and 1976) and if they are not from stolen or salvaged cars they might be able to correct the title, but I wouldn't count on it.

-Mike

This info came from Mike W online spread sheet. http://www.editgrid.com/user/mlwilliams/Z_Car_Registry.

This car HLS30- 293976 with engine # L28-077303 is late 76.

Your car HLS30 - 297637 with engine # L28-084935 looks like a late 76.

This car HLS30 - 299271 with engine # L28-079786 looks like an early 77.

Your car is in between the two but your engine is some 5000 number outside the numbers. Looks like it's not the original engine either.

The engine number is irrelevant as far as the DMV is concerned. Focus on getting the VIN numbers right and it appears that the one stamped in the firewall is the correct one. Your big problem will be getting the strut tower plate, dash plate, and door jamb plate to match what's on the firewall. I don't know how that can be done legally without those specific original parts in hand.

I don't know about NH, but in CA your car will have to be physically inspected by the DMV to make sure all the VIN numbers on the car are correct and in the right place before a corrected title can be issued. And here in CA the title inspectors know their stuff and have books showing where the VIN numbers should be and pictures of what the number should look like (font, positioning, plate style, etc.)