IGNORED

This baffles me to no end

Pomorza

You say you run 20-50 because the manual says to, it ALSO says you can run 10-30 or 10-40 at those temps.

So why run 20-50 when 10-30 0r 10-40 can do? Since it does get up to 120, then i would run the 10-40.

Even though I'm in denver, I run 10-30 year round in all my vehicles.

All of you are basing oil selection on the wrong criteria. FOllowing is a great write-up about what oil to select and it is ALL based on maintaining the appropriate oil pressure and oil temperatures. You run the oil weight you need to maintain a given (recommended) oil pressure.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/82361-motor-oil-school/

All of you are basing oil selection on the wrong criteria.
I'm not. I merely responded to "the FSM says" and the comments about Arizona vs. California temps. I never said why I used what I used; only that I used it. Edited by sblake01

For what it's worth. I bought a 1987 corolla SW some years back with about 100000 km on it. It had from time to tome a grumble from the front of the engine, mainly when cold. I put it down to a worn timing chain tensioner.

I changed the oil from time to time basically when I thought of it. The oil I used was the same as I used in my excavator, high detergent diesel engine oil. As time went on the grumbling stopped and at 260,000 km when I drove the vehicle to Pic a Part and picked up 250 bucks for it, it still used no oil and the grumbling never returned. I put it down to the high detergent oil cleaning the sludge from all the galleries and such, Or maybe it had worn off some rough edges somewhere:

Edited by olzed

That's not true. The sound was there before we changed the chain. That was our number one reason for changing it was that we thought (and with the amount of stretch it had rightly) that I had chain slap.

Jan

O/K.But we did cure some of the noise with the chain kit install correct?

All of you are basing oil selection on the wrong criteria. FOllowing is a great write-up about what oil to select and it is ALL based on maintaining the appropriate oil pressure and oil temperatures.

And you missed the part where i posted his motor has 250,000 miles on it also.

O/K.But we did cure some of the noise with the chain kit install correct?

It did yes, but now that noise is back. Its one of those WTF moments. I drove home and it magically returned the other day. We'll see how it runs after the new new oil change.

Jan

It did yes, but now that noise is back. Its one of those WTF moments. I drove home and it magically returned the other day. We'll see how it runs after the new new oil change.

Jan

At least that rules out anything we did during the timing chain swap.Right now,Don's idea is the only thing i can come up with.

All of you are basing oil selection on the wrong criteria. FOllowing is a great write-up about what oil to select and it is ALL based on maintaining the appropriate oil pressure and oil temperatures.

And you missed the part where i posted his motor has 250,000 miles on it also.

And you did not read the link. If you did, then your foot must be tasting rather good right about now. This is not the first time you've come across as a smart arse know it all. It is supporting the argument that a higher viscosity oil would be needed for a higher mileage engine.

1) If you did, then your foot must be tasting rather good right about now. 2)This is not the first time you've come across as a smart arse know it all. It is supporting the argument that a higher viscosity oil would be needed for a higher mileage engine.

1)Non-sequitur

2)Compared to you,i do know it all,as i've forgotten more than you'll ever know.

And seeing as how Jans car has been in my garage and i have first hand knowledge of the issue(noise),if i can't get a handle on it,safe to say you won't.Take a look at all the members on this board.I'm the last one you want to start a pissing contest with.

Now,back to our regularly scheduled programming.:cool:

At least that rules out anything we did during the timing chain swap.Right now,Don's idea is the only thing i can come up with.

I'm also going to run a bit of Seafoam through the oil before I change it. I can't see it being anything related to the valves. I've check them with you, I've checked them at home. There doesn't seem to be anything loose even when the car is at top dead center.

This problem is just leading me to pull my hair out at times. I have alot of it so I guess that's what the idea is I guess. It seems that this car has a mind of its own. It'll do one thing on day and then act completely different the next.

Thanks guy

Jan

P.S

Please don't turn this post into a pissing contest about who knows what about whatever. It's not worth your time or energy.