IGNORED

engine bay refresh

Zedyone_kenobi

I have decided to on the first bit of 'body work' I have ever tried (not counting refinishing my air cleaner). I am going to try to paint the engine bay fenders of my Z. They have long been scratch up from the dealer installed A/C hoses and canisters, etc. Plus it will give me a chance to really clean up the battery tray area.

So far, I have removed everything from the passenger wheel well area. I mean everything but the VIN tag, I am going to leave that there and carefully tape over it.

I have wet sanded the bejebus out of most of the area and I am working my way down to the frame rail. I am debating if I am going to remove the fuel lines or use a long brush to clean around them. Not sure. I have tested a small area of the touch up paint I ordered from http://www.automotivetouchup.com/ and it appears to be the real deal. I have an extra front valance that I am testing everything out on as well so I can see it in the sunlight. I think the color is pretty darn close to my 15 year old respray. Close enough for an engine bay anyway.

So my first newbie question. I have half a dozen or so holes drilled in my fender for old A/C plumbing grommets, and places where the voltage regular had to be moved due to the compressor. What is the best way to fill in screw holes.

Options that come to mind are:

Small Welds

Brazing

Body filler

JB weld (sandable if they make it)

If I come across as a complete beginner at painting things I am. I know enough that prep is everything. Sand, clean, degrease, clean, use tack cloth, clean. Clean clean clean. If I do that, then my chances are better for a good result. So for a while, I will spend my time cleaning and sanding.

Your best bet for a permanent solution, would be to bring it to a shop, so they can MIG weld the holes. Then you can finesse the welded holes with primer and spot filler before painting. If you have a friend or someone other than a pro weld up the holes, make certain they remove the neg. cable from the battery before any welding is done.

May I recommend pulling the number tag also? The engine compartment tag on my '71 is attached with small Phillips head screws, not rivits. You should be able to remove and replace it tracelessly, and that will give a much nicer job.

AAhhh, I love an engine bay refresh. One of my favorite things.

I did my yellow Z (back when it was silver) with two cans of silver paint. I used them both completely. Everything was covered but it wouldn't have hurt to have a third can.

Zedyone, I would take off the VIN plate, it's only four screws. Just don't lose it.:ermm:

Sounds like the engine is not out. That makes it a little tough I think. Never tried it that way.

Escalon mentioned using a 100W soldering iron for small holes. That sounds like a good option and one that can be done at home by those without a welder.

I like scotch brite for cleaning the brake and fuel lines. Don't use steel wool, it leaves small hairs. Just make sure you use a high temp clear coat over them after they are clean.

It's nice to have those fuel and brake clips zinc'd, but if you can't do that- there is zinc simulated paint, or wire wheel clean and use the high temp clear coat again. Looks better than the oxidized gray brown.

Take your time and have fun.

Rich

Okay progress has been slow,but today I took off the VIN plate and started polishing up the screws to put back in. I also did more sanding followed by my first coat of sandable primer. I will put this on in layers and work out all the scratches, nicks, I can. After I get it just right, I am going to hit it with several layers of base coat, and then some clear.

Pics to follow.