IGNORED

Hood Vents

Pomorza

Hey guys.

Found this online earlier tonight and I'm wondering if you guys have an opinion on it. By the looks of it I could in theory just cut out the needed holes and place the vents in. Has anyone used or had any experience with these?

Jan

It could be done on an earlier hood although it would be much easier to install them on a 77-78 hood which already has the cutouts. Look carefully at the raised area around the vents on the blue hood. The blue one is a 77-78 hood and the black one is a 70-76.

Don't know why the backlash on hood vents, but if you want them to be functional (heat out of the engine compartment, downforce) I think you can do better than these. There has been a lot of discussion about hood vents on hybridz.org in the aero forum. Take a look at the wind tunnel results too. Aesthetics notwithstanding, they do make a beneficial difference to the function of the car.

Don't know why the backlash on hood vents, but if you want them to be functional (heat out of the engine compartment, downforce) I think you can do better than these. There has been a lot of discussion about hood vents on hybridz.org in the aero forum. Take a look at the wind tunnel results too. Aesthetics notwithstanding, they do make a beneficial difference to the function of the car.

That's why I want them. I need to get heat out of my engine bay as living in Arizona (with 100+ summers) the engine (injectors especially) gets a bit warm. By the pictures they look functional which is really what I am after. I'll take your advise and go to hybrid and see what I can read.

If anyone has any other vents on their Z (other than the stock ones) please let me know where you got them and how they work.

Jan

I've also seen louvers in the inspection panels to (apparently) help vent the engine compartment. These don't stand out as much as putting them on the hood, but I've no idea how effective they are. Mine car had these on it when I purchased it, but I've since removed them and have stock inspection lids on it now (you can see them in this pic, sorry I don't have a closer one)

post-8920-14150811726644_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

if you care about the look, I think OEM is the best looking, as Sblake said, get a 280Z's hood, and I say, take it with the vetns ;)

and from my experience with hot weather which we really enjoy here, nothing beats the electric fan + aluminum radiator, the heat builds up at idle in traffic the most, when you move above 20Mph the engine bay will be cooled with your stock combo.

I used a BMW 325i radiator, a 1990 I believe, it sits like if it was made for the Z! the upper brackets hold to the Z's radiator frame like original! you'll have to fabricate a filler cap on top of the thermostat housing or on a pipe in the upper rad. hose. this radiator has a temp. switch that you can use for a two speed fan if you want, and I think you will not even to thing about the vents later:)

to me, I would do it again for the excessive heat, without looking back.