IGNORED

Datsunland Museum article

ZCCOR#109

You're going to need more than just a pinch of salt on your popcorn.....

Without wishing to upset anyone, some of the statements from that article are ludicrously far-fetched, and it is peppered with mistakes and exaggerations. Doesn't anyone ever edit or critique this stuff before it goes online?

The line about the "handshake deal" over sales of the Toyota 2000GT and Datsun 240Z might very well take the biscuit. Those models were hardly even on sale at the same time, let alone seriously competing with eachother in the USA market.

Next instalment: 'How Mr K. invented the wheel'... ? *

*Don't laugh, it's quite possible...

Aaaargh! It's all true....!

Seriously though, there's more wrong than there is right in that article. I was completely astounded at the story of the loading ramps for the transport ships. It only takes a moment of thought to understand that a 'normal' freighter ship couldn't be converted to a makeshift 'Ro-Ro' car transporter just by adding a ramp to it. The whole structure of the ship needs to be dedicated to driving cars on and off, and that's why purpose-built car transporter ships were added to the fleet when increasing Export volume made it a necessity.

Somewhere deep inside each of these stories is a tiny seed of truth that has been exaggerated, misunderstood and repeated many times with extra embellishments over the years. They have grown up with very little resemblance to the simple, and sometimes rather bland, truths that they were based on, and some of the characters involved in the stories have started to believe them themselves.

We - the gardeners - really ought to be pruning back some of these stories, and doing a little weeding.

Alan T.

Alan, Your correct. Most historical facts are riddled with pop culture tall tales.

I think you can call this an opinion piece, because it is someone's opinion and not the actual facts.

I have known Fred for a good number of years. The collection of items at the Datsun Heritage Museum are very special. I would suggest that as many of you as possible take the opportunity to get out and see the place, and be sure to leave a donation.

Ron

I would suggest that as many of you as possible take the opportunity to get out and see the place, and be sure to leave a donation.

Ron

Ron,

I agree. I was visiting LA about 3 weeks ago and made the trip to Murrieta to visit DHM. I had a wonderful time there, conversing with Fred and Betty and touring the museum with Johnnie Gable. Her stories about Mr. K and the early history of Datsuns in CA are fascinating. They are obviously extremely passionate about the Datsun brand and my hat is off to them. I hope they can keep the museum open.

Jim

• 8 months later...

From what I understand, the Datsun Heritage Museum has closed it's Murrietta, CA location and is 'seeking to relocate' according to this March 18, 2011 atricle:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/20/automobiles/20PIKE.html

In fact, if you try to open http://www.datsunheritagemuseum.com, it takes you to the '24th Annual International Z Car Convention' site.

Edited by sblake01

In fact, if you try to open http://www.datsunheritagemuseum.com, it takes you to the '24th Annual International Z Car Convention' site.

That DHM webpage hasn't had any real information about the museum in months. After it was changed it to advertise for the fundraiser they had last November, they just left it like that until they changed it to link to the Zcon site recently.

I doubt there is much chance of them relocating to another location.

-Mike