IGNORED

1969 Fairlady Z Japanese newspaper advertisement

Inf

Very interesting. Shame I can't download the images. They may very well be 1969 / 1970 advertizing images. Alan would know.

Chris,

Maybe try clicking on the links from the original page: http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/atcars/history/20100629-OYT8T00554.htm Does that work for you?

These were full-page ads, as part of the 'Your Dream Comes True' campaign for the Fairlady Zs, taken out in several Japanese Japanese newspapers ( not just the Yomiuri Shimbun ). The first was published on October 20th 1969 - just two days before the Tokyo Motor Show opened to the public. There were actually three different full-page newspaper ads, but the Yomiuri Shimbun history page only shows two of them for some reason?

Great stuff, Inf. Thanks for posting!

Alan T.

To be clear the flash-based viewer is showing a fairly poor quality scan/picture of the original newspaper ad. At 100% zoom the scan doesn't even fill my screen so zooming in won't buy you anything. Since it's not a normal embedded image you can't download or save it separately but you can always get a screenshot of it (windows users can simply press PrtScn and paste the image into MS Paint or some other image editing program). At that point you've got a capture that's the same quality is what is available in the viewer and you can then edit and save that however you like. Of course I can't read Japanese and I don't know Japanese copyright law for material like this so I'd hope the images wouldn't be misused by anyone following my directions.

For those interested, Google appears to do a fairly good Japanese to English translation which you can perform yourself via this link. I'd be interested to hear how accurate the Google translation is; I know their technology keeps getting better.

On one page the newspaper date is shown as Oct. 20, 1969 and on another Nov. 20, 1969 so I'm not sure which is correct. That's not a translation problem but rather the dates used on the source site. Either date qualifies as an early ad.

On one page the newspaper date is shown as Oct. 20, 1969 and on another Nov. 20, 1969 so I'm not sure which is correct. That's not a translation problem but rather the dates used on the source site. Either date qualifies as an early ad.

Mike,

Just to clarify - This was a series of ads, with different release dates.

The first was used from 20th October 1969, the second from 2nd November 1969 and the third from 20th December 1969. The dates can actually be read from the tops of the newspaper pages too ( the '44' means Showa 44, ie 1969 ).

Any scans of the original newspaper pages will naturally be quite poor quality, which is just the nature of newsprint I'm afraid.

Here's the third ad in the sequence:

post-2116-14150811657257_thumb.jpg

Which one is dated November? Am I correct; both of the cars / ads are PS30s?

Chris,

The first ad ( 20th October ) was a Z432, the second ad ( 2nd November ) was a Z-L and the third ad ( 20th December ) is hard to see from the angle, but I suspect is a Z432 again.

These cars - and the cool westerner with the pipe! - were used on the ( colour ) ad campaigns used in magazines too. They would, I think, have been very low serial number cars. No idea of numbers though....!

Alan T.