IGNORED

240 gas leaking ?

bounce

ok, got new battery and the plug wires connected...

tried to start it and no go.... fuel gauge was empty...so I put some gas in it, but the previous owner said it had half a tank...when I shook the car I could hear what I guess is the sending unit in the tank? is it a floating type sender?

anyways...I put more gas in the tank and it started leaking at the rubber hose/hose clamp fitting on the rear of the gas tank......(near the muffler/bumper?)

so I figure the tank was really empty prior to me putting gas in it...

can I pull the hose clamp/hose and re-cut the hose, re-mount the line and check for leak, add gas?

lastly, for the wiring order on the distro cap...it looks like #1 goes at 12 o'clock, 360 degrees, north..whatever you want to call the most front facing plug on the cap?... there is also an S I believe on the distro cap...does that mean anything?

I copied the wiring order from someone's 240 microsoft paint picture on here... 15 36 24 ??

thanks...B

Edited by bounce

lastly, for the wiring order on the distro cap...it looks like #1 goes at 12 o'clock, 360 degrees, north..whatever you want to call the most front facing plug on the cap?... there is also an S I believe on the distro cap...does that mean anything?

I copied the wiring order from someone's 240 microsoft paint picture on here... 15 36 24 ??

Firing order is 1,5,3,6,2,4 with distributor rotation being counter clockwise. This is where that $15 Haynes Manual can come in handy. :)

I'd also start replacing all rubber lines & hoses before running the car. If the tank has been sitting for more than a while, you may want to drop it and have it cleaned before filling & running. Did you change the fuel filter?

Make sure you're getting "spark" and the fuel pump is pumping when you do get the tank sorted out. Your carbs probably need a little TLC, too.

Keep us posted and let us know when you're having copious amounts of fun.

Dennis

Edited by psdenno

I agree with changing the fuel hoses, new clamps & filter.

You can also try some starting fluid to see if it fires up & will run for a few seconds.

Might want to keep a fire extinguisher handy for the initial fireup & until you have confidence everything is checked out and under control.

looks like there's no coil spark.....I've removed it to test at mechanics or just replace it...

the Z was running but sat all winter long under some snow....

I was hoping to get it running just to drive it to the mechanic...

exterior of the gas tank looks decent..