IGNORED

converting fuel injection to carburation

Shade133

is this a good idea? would i be able to pass emissions more easily if i do this?

is this even worth it? or is there to much electronic stuff id have to remove/replace?

ive always liked carbs better for everything except extreme 4x4 LOL.

please shed some insight on this subject for me.

Edited by Shade133

You'll get a variety of answers. It's a matter of personal preference IMO. I had my 78 280Z from 1997 to 2009 and my 79 810 from 2003 to 2009. Niether of them ever failed an emissions test during my ownership. I'm fairly familiar with both EFI and carbs. I wouldn't convert one to another. Besides, I don't know about Arizona, but if you converted an EFI car to carbs, in California it would fail the visual inspection and hence, the test.

I have one car with each and they both have their places. The FI is great if everything is in perfect working order - same as the twin SUs. At least with the carbs, you can call Bruce Palmer and order a set of beautiful rebuilt SUs that will run great for years. With EFI, you will have to diagnose each component and connection yourself and might get frustrated trying to get it all working properly. Either will work fine if they are working properly and both suck if not.

You'll get a variety of answers. It's a matter of personal preference IMO. I had my 78 280Z from 1997 to 2009 and my 79 810 from 2003 to 2009. Niether of them ever failed an emissions test during my ownership. I'm fairly familiar with both EFI and carbs. I wouldn't convert one to another. Besides, I don't know about Arizona, but if you converted an EFI car to carbs, in California it would fail the visual inspection and hence, the test.

that is a question i can call the emissions shop and ask.

they have already done a visual test on it the first test and didnt even visual test it the second time even after i told them i replaced the exhaust and intake with aftermarket..

so we shall see. i just have a feeling im going to have nothing but probs with my fuel injection due to it being so old and it can be really annoying trying to figure everything out and pricey at the same time.

as this in a future is going to be only a track car/weekend car. i feel carbs will be ideal.. as i can easily adjust them and buy new carbs, slap them on and go.. and it leaves a lot less to trouble shoot in my opinion.

right now being new to phoenix, i know NO friend wise that can help me like i did in fresno, ca.. where i had my other 78 z running perfectly within a month at low cost.

here im stuck to a apartment parkinglot stall to do all my repairs and the car has to stay running and licensed to be parked in the stall :sick:

Shade133, there are a ton of Z guys and gals in Phoenix. Go to http://www.desertzassociation.com/ and ask for help. They are a great bunch. I was in Phoenix once on business and dropped them a post on their forum asking when they meet. Within a few hours, they scheduled a meet for the night I was in town and close to 20 Zs showed up! It was the middle of the week too if I remember correctly. I haven't seen a total of 20 S30s in Michigan since I moved here 16 years ago.