IGNORED

retractable belts

zhead240

I just install the new retractables from Motorsport auto that are made by some other supplier.

Not the greatest set up but better than the originals that I had as far as safety.

issues were:

1. The belts were fed incorrectly through the "slide" piece that bolts to the roof. Luckly it all threads out and can be turned.

2. The inner belts that mount at the drive shaft tunnel are sewn backwards and they want you to use a 90 degree bracket to account for that. And that set up doesn't fit well. The solution was to cut loose the end of the belt that is turned up and sewn to keep the web from falling of the buckle. Then have a shoe repair resew. There is nothing of strength there, as the fold and sew is just a stopper.

3. The shoulder belt slide is mounted at the original location on the roof. This point is Too far to the rear and too far behind the driver for comfort. The belt now rides on my neck and I will have to buy a wool cover for the belt to moderate that.

4. The inner belt is still something that falls down next to the seat if you don't watch what you are doing. The system should have one of those fixed/stiff items that is always in position requiring you to only plug the reel belt into it.

The good side is that the reel allows you to move in the cabin to do things like open the air vents under the dash without loosing the belt, and the old belts would loosen on their own over a 10 minute drive requiring continuing tightening so that is gone.

I still havn't driven any with the new set up. May be a good deal and maybe not.

An orginal 70's erra reel system would be nice, IF you replaced all the old webbing.

Many of the holes also served double duty as locator points while traveling on platform jigs during construction or assembly aids of some kind, but I don't know about those ones though. One things for sure...those are about the cleanest pockets & plugs I've ever seen on a Z of this age. I'm sure, whatever retractor set-up you decide on, you will want to be able to revert back to your stock configuration easily without any visable modifications showing.