IGNORED

Positive battery terminal safety tip

woytovich

Wow, I just had that problem, my Z (for the first time) left me stranded at a gas station. I used the vinyl tool pouch tucked between the battery and fender, but that solution almost looks stock, kinda like the gas tank flap...

I just installed a new Optima Red Top an hour ago. I cannot imagine this being a problem as the factory hold down has the battery pretty secure plus as has already been said, you always disconnect the negative cable first...

Are you having the battery come loose? Is your body work smashed down enough to contact the terminal? I don't see the problem...

I just installed a new Optima Red Top an hour ago. I cannot imagine this being a problem as the factory hold down has the battery pretty secure plus as has already been said, you always disconnect the negative cable first...

Are you having the battery come loose? Is your body work smashed down enough to contact the terminal? I don't see the problem...

It seems to be a 'better safe than sorry' kind of thing. Regardless, nice execution!

There's always a wreck where the battery positive terminal hits the bodywork (or the other way around). Its always a great idea to cover the positive terminal on the battery and you won't get on any drag strip, autocross course, or road race track without it.

There's always a wreck where the battery positive terminal hits the bodywork (or the other way around). Its always a great idea to cover the positive terminal on the battery and you won't get on any drag strip, autocross course, or road race track without it.

The implication here seems to be that this was some kind of Datsun design flaw. My battery is mounted in the factory tray with the factory hold down and hardware. It is very firmly held in place and the positive terminal is at least an inch from the bodywork. I can see where there is a potential for an accident causing the body to contact the positive terminal, but that presents other problems that are bigger, like the car is undriveable due to the fender hitting the wheel?

My feeling is that if you are using a factory sized battery in the factory mount and position this is not a problem. If the original poster isn't, then this is an elegant solution. All I am saying is that if you don't try to outsmart the Datsun engineers, this isn't a problem. A couple others have alluded to that as well. In fact, the best solution presented is the more modern side-post batteries.

As for not being allowed on an autocross course, that isn't true in my experience at all either. Over the last 10 years my car has more competition miles than street miles. Not one single tech inspector has ever questioned the proximity of my positive cable to the bodywork or the fact that the post was exposed.

I have to stick with my feeling that this is not needed in a car that retains the factory mount in good repair.

I've been caught up in tech for not having a cover and had to wrap duct tape over the pos terminal. I did get a battery with the terminals reversed so that the positive wasn't stuck under the fender, even then the tech said that it was still pretty close to the hood and made me cover the terminal.

Rob, the positive terminal hitting something is a fire risk. Sure, having your car become un-driveable in an accident is a bummer. It (or you) burning is a bigger bummer. I've seen two batteries come loose and cause problems. One caught fire at an autox (Rabbit, large battery box with a small battery and metal hold down, battery slid until pos terminal hit the hold down) and one Z on the big track (battery came loose and fell off of the tray and into the starter/side of the block). I don't think the Z caught fire, but there was an explosion sound and a BIG puff of smoke when the battery fell. Battery fires are a pretty easy risk to avoid and it should be done just as a matter of course.

Edited by jmortensen

You're right. 3.3.3.17 applies to wet cell batteries moved from the stock location. Some regions (Like Cal Club) have the positive battery terminal cover requirement int heir supp regs.

I am using a custom made set of battery cables (welding cable) and I did use the cover on both the positive and negative cable ends.

Who was the Martin Marietta engineer who was on the old IZCC email list? John Thomas? He used to say that arguing with an engineer is like mudwrestling with a pig. After half an hour or so, you realize you're covered in mud and the pig loves it! Datsun engineers spent a lot more time and study than I have the the resources for to determine what is needed in this spot. I try to stick as close to factory as possible because of that... Those rubber cable end covers are a couple bucks at most autoparts stores.

My 914 uses a gel cell battery lying on its side. Now that one, I do worry about. The battery is very small and the posts only about 4 inches apart. Easy enough to contact both posts inadvertently with a tool... I may use a variant of this solution and make an apron of rubber to hang over the post/cable ends.

I just checked Trackmasters and they have the supp you are talking about for batteries in non-stock mounting locations.