IGNORED

Black Dragon dash

Scaotty

It wouldn't apply to you in Oregon, but just a note to folks in hot places like Texas: I installed a half cap on my '75 long ago (in Texas, of course), and it looked great. The problem was that the Texas heat caused the plastic to soften and sag. As a result, you could see the contour of a zig-zaggy line of caulk from one end of the dash to the other. The moral: If you live in a really hot climate, be careful how you cement the thing down!

• 2 months later...

I was given a full dash cover as part of the deal when I bought my '73.

Question 1: do I need to remove the steering wheel to get the thing on the dash for a trial fit?

Question 2: Is a special tool needed to pull the steering wheel? I want to repaint the metal and refinish the rosewood if I get the wheel off.

Herb,

Don't know about question 1.

Question 2:

You don't NEED a steering wheel puller. Just loosen the nut but not all the way. Just so it's almost off.

I've always been able to hit the steering wheel with my palms from behind.

You can also GENTLY use a rubber mallet to tap the wheel from behind.

The nut acts as a stop in case the wheel isn't on as tight as

it should be and prevents the datsun logo planted on your forehead!

Good luck.:beer:

Dave Ruiz

• 4 weeks later...

I have the full dash cover from Black Dragon on my 71 240Z I just finished restoring and it fit very nicely. The top of the dash was in pretty bad shape and I had no issues gettting the cover to fit properly. Refiting the door on the glove compartment requires some trimming, but I think that would be true no matter who you purchase the cover from. Most of the aftermarket companies like Black Dragon, MSA and others have many of the same manufacturers parts.

You'll not want to hear this.... Why not pull the dash and have it professionally restored? You could pick up a bad one from someone here for a few dollars and get it restored then swap yours out in a weekend. It's not cheap but the end results is soooooo much better. The new materials are superior to the OEM vinyls. If the car is nice why skimp on such a prominent focal point? I'd say save your money and do it right but that's just me. Fastwoman mentioned a serious problem. The 280Z I just acquired has a full cover. It has warped and shows the swirls of the adhesive when looked at through the windshield. I plan to pull it and build a functional aluminum dash since it's already a track car by most definitions.

• 7 months later...

Im actually in the process now, of repairing the dash. Im following all the steps of another thread on here (cant recall who posted it). Involving Great Stuff, SEM Bumper Repair, SEM Texture paint, and SEM Landau Black. Ill post pics as soon as im done, if it turns out good. Otherwise, ill have a nice repaired semi-straight dash to throw a cap on.

• 4 weeks later...

The thing I hate about the plastic covers is that if you need to remove one of the dash gauges like I did you have to remove the cover. Not sure about anyone else but I glued mine in place with silicone caulking. So I kinda destroyed it removing it. Instead of ordering a new one I put my dash mat back in place for now. It does look nice.