IGNORED

Black Dragon dash

Scaotty

Most of us would probably notice a dash cap in a heartbeat but I once had a 280Z parts car with a full dash-cap and someone commented that it had the nicest dash they had seen in a long time... Bottom line, it's something and probably better than looking at what you have.

I bought a half cover from them 8 years ago, with no issues. Z people can spot it, but everyone else comments on the incredible condition of my dash...

That being said everyone sells the same cover, I can't remember the brand but I have visited their site and I believe it is cheaper to buy direct, or to go through Motorsport with the discount...

I had a 1/2 cover on mine when I got it and it was very obvious. I went to replace the tach and the only way to get it out the front was to remove the cover, gave me a reason to buy a full cover from MSA.

The full cover is much better, less detectable but still not as good as a decent dash.

Removing the 1/2 was a pain. The P.O. must have used 2 tubes of silicon to put it down, it came up in about 100 pieces, taking chunks of the original dash from time to time.

I had a couple pics but cant seem to find them. I did have an issue installing it, having to dremel out the opening around the drivers side vent a little to get it to lay down.

I bought it from MSA and the club discount was applied, I am thinking it was around $90.

If having the dash emblem visible is important to you, be sure to ask whether the 280Z full dash cover currently sold by MSA has a cutout for it. A couple of years ago I asked them and was told that it did not have the cutout. :tapemouth May be different now.

Most 1/2 caps that I've seen don't have the cutout for the emblem.

I believe there are a couple of different manufacturers. I bought mine on ebay (not from the MSA outlet) last year but don't recall who the seller was. Here are a few photos.

post-15707-14150811266766_thumb.jpg

post-15707-14150811267511_thumb.jpg

post-15707-14150811268126_thumb.jpg

post-15707-14150811268724_thumb.jpg

Yes, the one that's not blacked out is the full dash cover and it looks like it does have the cutout for the dash emblem.

$119 seems high to me but perhaps that's the going price these days. I believe I paid around $80 for mine last year.

• 3 months later...
The only "Bad" thing about the full cap is that you have to get the whole thing off to replace the light bulbs on the speedometer or tachometer.

Not true, I replaced all the bulbs last spring without removing the gauges. Granted, you need to know what you're feeling around for, and you probably need to be pretty flexible, but it can be done. Taking the drivers seat and steering wheel out would probably have made things even easier. YMMV I guess.