IGNORED

ive got a leaky 71 z. Need some advice

71Nissan240Z

Im leaking diff fluid from the bottom of the diff, I suspect the gasket is bad. I have the R180 diff with the MALE square fill and drain plugs. I wilshI had the female plugs so I could stick a breaker bar and crack em open. I cant get these to budge.

I need advice on how to get these loose.

The other thing is, Im leaking tranny fluid on the driveshaft that connects to the transmission. Can I simply disconnect the shaft from the diff and pull the shaft out? I know there is a seal there and I know it needs replacement.

I stopped driving my car as of now to prevent any damage. I did hear the tranny whine a little bit at higher speeds, didnt do it before. Probably is low on fluid, so ive stopped driving it.

I live in Oregon so its only sunny for 3 months of the year. I need to fix this so I can enjoy my Z :cool:

Thanks I did see that thread, but it isnt clear if the driveshaft will just slide out from the transmission or if I need some special technique to get it out.

I still need some advice on how to remove the fill and drain plugs from my r180

The rear cover is aluminum, and the plugs are steel. They expand at different rates and tend to corrode together. The only way I have ever been able to remove them is with a pipe wrench and a hammer. (Short sharp blows...)

If there is a better way to get them out please someone let him know.

Disconnect the 4 bolts holding the driveshaft and simply slide it out of the back of the tranny.

When you slide the drive shaft out of the transmission, the gear oil will come out unless you have drained it first or have the rear end of the car jacked up. You might want to make sure that you can get the transmission fill plug out to add more before you start.

I had the same problem with the diff fill and drain plugs. If you heat the area around the plugs with a propane or MAPP torch you should be able to get them loose. The diff gets pretty hot when in use so the heat shouldn't hurt it. I could not get either to budge until I applied the torch.

Disconnect the 4 bolts holding the driveshaft and simply slide it out of the back of the tranny.

Thanks!

The rear cover is aluminum, and the plugs are steel. They expand at different rates and tend to corrode together. The only way I have ever been able to remove them is with a pipe wrench and a hammer. (Short sharp blows...)

If there is a better way to get them out please someone let him know.

I have a chain wrench, do you think that could work?

When you slide the drive shaft out of the transmission, the gear oil will come out unless you have drained it first or have the rear end of the car jacked up. You might want to make sure that you can get the transmission fill plug out to add more before you start.

I had the same problem with the diff fill and drain plugs. If you heat the area around the plugs with a propane or MAPP torch you should be able to get them loose. The diff gets pretty hot when in use so the heat shouldn't hurt it. I could not get either to budge until I applied the torch.

Thanks for the heads up, at this point Im sure the transmission is already low as it started making a whining sound on the freeway so Ive stoped driving until I can replace the shaft seal

I forgot where I first heard this, but it does work:

"When all else fails, use a bigger hammer." LOL

FWIW, ~Rick~

LOL

Try an impact wrench and a metric socket that just barely fits/needs to be tapped on. I did this just last week. Worked like a charm.

John

I have a 250lb impact wrench. Do you know what size fits best over the square head bolt?