IGNORED

started body work on my 280

grantf

Thanks, The final prep work makes the difference I was surprised that there was no dirt or dust in the paint, most likely the plastic that was hung and cleaning the car 3 times before spraying. I also have a little over a quart of paint left over for future touch ups if I need it. :):)

post-17660-14150813212326_thumb.jpg

post-17660-14150813212915_thumb.jpg

Edited by grantf

Still having fun. My car is home in the drive way. So here are two questions:

does anyone have close up photos of the "upper outer hatch seal" I am confused by what BD sent me. And any suggestion on what mirrors I should install, I have the old one that are complete crap, left and right racing mirrors, you know the ones that have the rubber ribs and are only a little lager than a dental mirror, or a pair I pulled off a 77 at the junk yard that sort of look like ones I see at shucks auto, only they are black not chrome.

anyhow pics of other mirrors that you have installed would be nice.

i hate putting the small things back together. its not that i cant, i just lose patience fast. like with door handles aligning stuff etc. of course when everything is said and done you can take a step back and enjoy the fruits of your labor... but anyways, the Z looks great!

I think your Z would look great with a set of classic Early mirrors on it. Just buy 2 Left sides, Instal the left door mirror than shave a wedge off the base of the right door mirror.

I love mine..

Here's a shot of me installing my outer hatch seal after paint.

A couple example pics, to give you an idea of how classy the originals were.

Your Z is looking better everytime I log on.

Dave

post-4921-14150813279227_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150813279663_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150813280254_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150813280935_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150813281431_thumb.jpg

Thanks Dave, is you're outer seal one piece? mine came in three section from BD the sides are a no brainer it is the upper center piece that has me confused. it is a different profile more rounded with two slots.

Anyhow the car is now back home in the drive way with a cover over it, I will need to wait for warmer weather before continuing with the rubber pieces. I will post more progress pics this weekend. I have a set of mirrors but I am unsure if I want to install them. My Z budget is now broke so I may just go with what I have, but there is no rush.

Yes, mine is a 1 peice.

The center peice on a 3-peice kit is different than the 2 side peices. The 2 sides have a flat profile with a small round hump and the center peice is similar to the inner seal, in shape, but smaller.

Rough up the paint a little before applying the glue. also rough up the rubber peice to be glued as well. Use it as a contact cement. let it get tacky on both sides before applying the seal to the body.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Well it is back home, I get a little work done here and there today I put in a new clutch slave cylinder, it needed one but I discovered that I need to pull the trany as the clutch fork is not returning, oh well it will need a clutch soon anyhow....

post-17660-14150813419_thumb.jpg

post-17660-14150813419678_thumb.jpg

post-17660-14150813420273_thumb.jpg