Sign in to follow this  
grantf

started body work on my 280

here is my progress so far:

So the Tabco part was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be, It is still not compleatly done,there is a little more grinding a tab bit of hammer work to sharpen the inside radius and filler (but not much). I am actually pleased with the fit!

post-17660-14150811182275_thumb.jpg

post-17660-14150811182975_thumb.jpg

post-17660-14150811183645_thumb.jpg

post-17660-14150811184237_thumb.jpg

Edited by grantf

Looks nice, are you going to Canby this year? If so a few guys are all convoying down and your more than welcome to join us (Zs-ondabrain, S30driver, and me). I'll be posting a thread under goodies -> events when we finalize the times.

Canby, Oregon, which is about 20 miles or so away from Portland. It's the biggest Datsun show in the Northwest. Its next weekend, June 13th.

A rough draft of our plan is to leave on Saturday (June 12th), meet up with others at Krispy Kreme off I5 in Tacoma then all head down there.

It's at a fair ground and allows camping. So we plan to just camp there over night to help split up the driving, then head back on Sunday.

For people only attending on Sunday (the day of the actual show), a number of us typically meet at one of the I-5 rest areas and convoy in the final 10 miles or so.

attachment.php?attachmentid=36439&stc=1&d=1275691155

post-8596-14150811184846_thumb.jpg

For people only attending on Sunday (the day of the actual show), a number of us typically meet at one of the I-5 rest areas and convoy in the final 10 miles or so.

attachment.php?attachmentid=36439&stc=1&d=1275691155

Yep that's what Dave was telling me, we'll probably go to that too, despite leaving on Saturday. It's my first year going and falls the weekend after college finals so I can't wait should be a lot of fun and I can finally meet some people off this forum in person.

Is my thread getting hijacked? :)

Anyhow by that time my car may not be drivable as bodywork progresses:ermm: I'll see if I can make it maybe just the meet in Tacoma.

Is my thread getting hijacked? :)

Anyhow by that time my car may not be drivable as bodywork progresses:ermm: I'll see if I can make it maybe just the meet in Tacoma.

I think he's onto our thread jacking abilities Arne.

So what's next on the list of things you need to replace on the body?

right dog leg if I can get the passanger door open, rear lower quarter sections, hatch deck, lower rear front fender area. That should do it for rust on my car. then paint.

Hell, you can drive it down there like that (in the condition it's in) You might even find the parts you need. (preformed doglegs, lower quarters, decking, etc, etc.

Dave

Back to business:

here is the right side just welded and ground then spot primed, no filling or sanding yet.

post-17660-14150811192434_thumb.jpg

post-17660-14150811193054_thumb.jpg

Looks good. Are you going to repaint that area to match the rest, or do a full strip-down of the car and repaint?

I'm worried for the future of my rockers and dogleg, I'm starting to see some slight bubbling on the passenger side :(

I will be painting the whole car in the near future, but not stripping it all down to bare metal. I will most likely be painted the original yellow. post pics of you're rust perhaps it is only surface but cross you're fingers it seems that these cars like to rust on the inside also.

A little bit more progress. this time it is the rear passanger fender. I found two things, a shmit load of bondo and the bolt hole for the rubber bumper end, this is a good thing as I located two replacement end peaces at the junk yard a few months back, I am happy.

post-17660-14150811206385_thumb.jpg

post-17660-14150811207049_thumb.jpg

here is some pics of the patch panel loosly fit, note that there is some hammer work and more trimming, but I am pleased that this replacement panel is fitting way better than I thought it would due to reports that it was all wrong. None of these replacement panels fit perfect and I do not believe they are ment to be replacements without some trimming and bending but I was expecting way worse so I am happy.

post-17660-14150811207653_thumb.jpg

post-17660-14150811208261_thumb.jpg

Where did you get the patch panels from - are they reproductions or from a donor car ??

Thanks Matto

Reproduction, the doglegs are tabco and the rear section is from mill supply but I think tabco made them as well.

and another snag:

I want to remove the body panel that resides just front of the rear bumper, I know this area harbores rust. Is it welded in? I want to preseve it any suggestions?

post-17660-14150811265971_thumb.jpg

the new piece from msa welded in...

over all a really nice fit but the forward edge was a bit shy of matching the original seam so instead of plug welding I resorted to tacks along the edge :ermm: oh well it will be consealed under the hatch seal anyhow.

post-17660-1415081140689_thumb.jpg

post-17660-14150811407643_thumb.jpg

ok so work continues started to sand the rear fender and found bad news:

So tell me what you did about the rust in the gas flap area? Mine has got it too, and its probably the part that worries me the most.

I simply cut out all rust and bent a scrap peice of sheet metal to fit, welded it up, ground it flush and added a thin amount of body filler. I'll see about posting pics...........

ok so it's been a while since my last progress post so here goes....

the dark grey is ppg epoxy primer, I thought that it would be best over bare metal considering that all of the lower body panels were cut out and new pieces welded in, the lighter primer is 2k sandable primer filler, both sprayed pretty rough but that is not a concern of mine since the whole car will be wet sanded to 600.

post-17660-14150812399054_thumb.jpg

post-17660-14150812399718_thumb.jpg

here is more progess....

last coat of primer is sprayed. next is wet sanding the whole car. And for the base and clear it looks like I might have scored use of a huge paint booth!!!!

post-17660-14150812400124_thumb.jpg

post-17660-1415081240071_thumb.jpg

post-17660-14150812401103_thumb.jpg

post-17660-14150812401494_thumb.jpg