IGNORED

MSA seatbelts wont fit

Reverend

Koalia,

If you just CAN'T make the seatbelts work for you, I recommend going with the WESCO roadster belts that I described here. The retractor is up at the shoulder mounting point.

I have installed both types of aftermarket belts, and I much prefer the roadster style. They are easier to use, and there is one less bolt to mount.

Steve

I ordered my belts for my 73 from WESCO and I love them. They are the best safety item that I have done.

• 2 weeks later...

Koalia,

If you just CAN'T make the seatbelts work for you, I recommend going with the WESCO roadster belts that I described here. The retractor is up at the shoulder mounting point.

I have installed both types of aftermarket belts, and I much prefer the roadster style. They are easier to use, and there is one less bolt to mount.

Steve

Steve,

I read your link several months ago when I was bound and determined to replace my fixed 3-point harness. I appreciate the fact that you didn't want to post photos (I often feel the same when folk ask for pics on really obvious mods/improvements/repairs).

However, having typed that I saw the measurement listed on the WESCO site for the roadster belt retractor unit and it's *huge* compared to the mounting point. I mocked up a 4x4x3 wooden block to see how it would mount, and in every case it wouldn't clear my trim plastic.

Anyway, if it all possible, you think you could snap a pic or two to show how the mounting looks on your car?

R/

Dustin

To get that MSA retractor out of the way - I would make two steel plates about 1/16" thick and 3" x 4" wide/tall.

Then drill holes for small bolts at the corners in each pair. Then bolt them to each side of the bulkhead supporting the rear deck area... ie. the upright area behind the seats. You can put one inside the tool pocket and the other on the outside or even under the vinyl covering. Once you have them bolted in place - just drill a hole for the bolt that holds the retractor in place. That would put the retractor much higher up and provide a strong mounting point.

FWIW,

Carl B

Steve,

I read your link several months ago when I was bound and determined to replace my fixed 3-point harness. I appreciate the fact that you didn't want to post photos (I often feel the same when folk ask for pics on really obvious mods/improvements/repairs).

However, having typed that I saw the measurement listed on the WESCO site for the roadster belt retractor unit and it's *huge* compared to the mounting point. I mocked up a 4x4x3 wooden block to see how it would mount, and in every case it wouldn't clear my trim plastic.

Anyway, if it all possible, you think you could snap a pic or two to show how the mounting looks on your car?

R/

Dustin

Here you go, Dustin. I didn't take pictures of the inboard side, but I did use WESCO's hardware that included a mounting bracket bent at a 90 degree angle. I haven't had any clearance problems.

Steve

post-5413-14150811251692_thumb.jpg

post-5413-14150811252088_thumb.jpg

Here you go, Dustin. I didn't take pictures of the inboard side, but I did use WESCO's hardware that included a mounting bracket bent at a 90 degree angle. I haven't had any clearance problems.

Steve

I installed my WESCO's a little different and I am happy with my install as well. I showed my WESCO install to MSA a few years ago, they used my example to move forward with their set-up. I still would not go with MSA on this one but instead with WESCO, great customer service too.

I took your advice Steve and now have a set of the Wesco WELR-N belts. My trim panels are not in the car yet and I've been studying how to mount the retractors. I am considering cutting a pocket into the inner sail panel and welding in new mounting points, so I can reverse mount them. There should be only about an inch protruding into the cabin by doing so. Also they will be positioned lower, which will be better for me, I think. I need to study the retractor covers to see if they can be easily reversed also. When I get to the interior work I will take pics to show how it worked out.

Steve,

Awesome, thank you very much. During my mock-up, I didn't think to hang the box off into the hatch area...duh. I think I'll go ahead with this as soon as I'm done moving (relocating to Okinawa from Yokosuka).

My 3-points are old and I consider them a liability as cinching them up tight enough to protect does not allow me to lean forward enough to look into traffic or reach anything else inside the cabin which makes me have to unbuckle them at the most inopportune times. Also, they slip over time and are generally a PIA.

Thanks again!

R/

Dustin

I tried putting in the MSA kit and ended up sending it back. There were just too many compromises - all those "adapters", huge bolts sticking out all over the place, can't use the carpets I just bought 2 years ago, and the retractor didn't work that well because the belt was always twisted no matter how I mounted it or turned it around. The dealbreaker was when I finally got one in and sat down and buckled up: the position of the buckled belt was just all wrong. The receiver piece was so long that when I got the belt nice and snug, where it buckled together was only about two inches below my solar plexus. A seatbelt should go straight across from hip to hip. If my kid was wearing one of these and I had to slam on the brakes, she probably would've slid out from underneath it. I sent them back. I'd rather pay to have new webbing in my original seatbelts with the non-retractable shoulder belt...