IGNORED

how loud?

dero

Actually Dave, the ZRX is going to be my next bike. (If I can ever save up a little money) I used to have a little RD350 that would beat CBR600's and scare the hell out of Harley ("Hardley", I like that one!) riders.

As for the Harleys, I just can't see spending $15k + on a bike with backwards, outdated technology. My opinion, though.

Well, I have to say that I do like riding my sportbike. I purchased the fastest production bike (Suzuki Hayabusa) at 1300 CC's. It's a very nice ride and is extremely fast. I like the heavy bikes because they are smoother to ride (more comfortable).

It is fun to go fast. But, I can tell you that it's just something to do. To say that a Harley is crap is just not right. I mean, everybody has their own preference. And, if I was to buy a cruiser, I'd save up my $$ and buy a Harley over a Honda or Suzuki. Why? I just love the sound and they are legends. If I couldn't do a Harley, I'd go with an Indian.

The ultimate combination would be a smaller sportbike (probably a Ducati) for carving the corners and a Harley/Indian for the weekend cruises with my woman.

Let's not forget the fact that Harleys also hold their value while a sportbike loses value with every passing mile / year.

I'm getting a little tired of buying things that continuously lose value (stock?!) and I'm looking to keep my money while still enjoying the good parts of life.

I would consider cruising down the back roads on a motorcycle something every person needs to do a few times in their life.

[m]

"If I couldn't do a Harley, I'd go with an Indian."

Sorry Mike. If you can't afford a Harley, then you're not going to afford an Indian. The dealer here in San Antonio has Indian's priced starting at $27,000+. And they're only an Indian by name, the engine is a Harley clone! Want a cool cruiser? Take a look at an old Vincent Black Shadow. Now that's a bike.

I'm not a cruiser fan myself and I don't have a total hatred of Harley's, but their riders are a different story. Most won't even look at you let alone talk to you if you're on a Jap bike. But I could definitely go for a Buell XB9S!!!

97 600cc Ninja here!

Hey Dave is that 1100 or 1200 ZRX? I had a chance to pick up a 99 1100 from a friend for 4500 and waited too long and another guy we work with took it home, DANG! I love the Retro look.

Hmmmmm, you see I also am not a fan of Harleys but, to say there is no tech in a harley is not quite right anymore. You see I recently spent a couple days on an '02 Dyna Wideglide. This is the best harley has as far as handling and at 1450cc Theres a lot of low end to it. Not a bad bike. Computer controlled carbs, (like my old 86 sentra), The bike is just as advanced as any of the shadows or meanstreaks out there. Ever hear a harley out of the showroom with stock pipes, actually pretty quite. I don't like cruisers though, and at $19,800 i won't be trying to buy a Wideglide anyways.

As far as holding their value... It's only worth what you actually sell it for. pick up the Saturday paper or Cycle trader...the market is flooded with em. And everybody wants top dollar...And for that kinda money most want a new one for a grand more.

The best deal is buying a used sportbike from a kid who got scared! You get em dirt cheap!

But let me clarify I AM NOT A HARLEY FAN. I understand the people, at least the ones who still wave at you if your on 2 wheels, not just a harley.

Nate

"If I can't go Kawi then I'll hang up my helmet"

• 1 month later...

MMMMMMM, Triumphs!

I like triumphs! I have a friend at work with not one but 2! 1968 bonnevilles! One being restored and one in Show quality condition! It was even in a Magazine.

I also like the new Triumph street and cruisers, don't much care for the sport bikes though... too pricey. I love the Thunderbird and ne Bonneville, though!

Anyway.. welcome, Memory Gap.

Nate:cross-eye

OK...to start out I actually used to be the spare parts man at yamaha dealership, so of course there is a bit of a bias...anyway...as for harley davidsons unique sound, it is also attributed to the single conrod twin cylinder design. And I have to say, I would rather have an XV1600 yammie cruiser than a harley. Reliable as, beautiful to ride, and if you've ever heard one with longshot exhausts on it...GOD DAMN!!! That is one of the best sounds known to man (other than an L6 screaming its preverbial off!). And if u really want to wet your pants, ride one of the brand new R1's. Around 170 kgs with 162hp! 0-100 in 2 secs!!!! I am dead serious when I say that not only are those bikes fast, but downright scary!!! Anyone who tells you that they can push it hard well/safely is pulling it. Unless you're Colin Edwards, then wizz off!!! F#$@%^ unbelieveable. No two ways about it. Same with the Suzuki GSX-R, R1 is better but only by an immeasurable amount. Now I dare you, go and scare yourself into buying a camry and being done with it!!!:classic:

attributed to the single conrod twin cylinder design.

So how does that work?

As I understand it Harleys are a 45 degree V-Twin.

The 'long stroke' nature of the Harley engine (which gives it the great torque characteristics) combined with the V-layout and open pipes is what results in the characteristic lazy blat-blat sound the Harley makes.

The sound of any engine can be attributed to many factors including: No. Cylinders, Cylinder angles, Crank angles, Combustion Chamber design, Valve timing, Exhaust design, bore:stroke ratio. etc.

I'm a big fan of V-twin motorcycles but I prefer the short stroke engines (ie bore>stroke) such as Moto Guzzi and Ducati engines. Of the 4cyl engines I like the Honda V-4 and the Yamaha inline 4 with 5 valves per cyl.

just my 2c.

Originally posted by hmsports

I guess then why should anyone spend a few thousand on an old Z that has old outdated technology? Its all in what you like.

Sure, but its 1000 pounds or more lighter than newer technology :)

If you want FI, you can upgrade, even in crappy California the 240Z is smog exempt.

Uh, no. The lope and sound of a Harley engine is due to the single-crankpin design. It's got nothing to do with the carb. There is no backfire through the carb on a properly tuned bike.

I believe what you are talking about is the fact that Harleys use a

single-fire ignition in which both plugs fire even though one is in a

cylinder on the exhaust stroke. The newer fuel-injected bikes are

dual-fire (one plug at a time) as they use a computer to control spark timing as well as injector pulse width, thus they are smoother. The engineers did play with the idle quality to make sure it retains the Harley sound, but it's not a miss, just different mapping.

-Jim