IGNORED

how loud?

dero

i hooked up my exhuast yesterday without the muffler, its 2 1/4 inch piping all the way back, no smog stuff, i hacksawed off my other muffler cause my apexi N1 is gonna be welded on by my friend, im just wondering if its gonna be too loud for the week or two till i get my muffler on, has anybody ran there 240 like this?

Yup, raced one with straight exhaust for 5 years.... huh, whadhesay? It will be quite loud, especially if you get it above 3K rpm's. Not much louder than having a cheap set of glasspacks on it after they burn out. I'd be easy on the throttle around cops as they might take a dim view of it being so loud.

In my opinion it isn't much louder than a Hog with straight pipes, but cops don't seem to care about how offensive they can be......go figure...

:stupid: :angry:

Toomany, welcome to one of the--if not THE--biggest double standard in the World. I can't figure out if it's because they are american (made), or if it's a motorcycle cop thing, or if it is just because SO MANY cops are into Harleys in their personal lives. It makes me sick. It is unbelievable how disgustingly loud some of those things are. Oftimes it can be physically unsettling.

steve77

Mike,

The sound of an inline 4 motorcycle engine hitting close to the rev-limiter is entirely different than a Harley chugging down the road w/ straight pipes.

My personal favorite (for bikes) is the old KZ1000's when they come on the cam at about 9000 rpm. Beautiful sound.

Btw, anybody want to know why Harleys "lope" at idle? It's actually a carburated backfire through the single carb. A glitch in the carb system of all things. When Harley first put out their fuel injected bikes, they were quiet and ran smoothly. So to keep w/ their "heritage", the engineers re-programmed the injection maps to incorporate a miss or mis-fire actually, so the characteristic Harley sound could further be enjoyed. What a joke....

A-dog - bashing the ricers is in the other thread....and I think the general direction in the end is sorta live and let live. After all weren't the early Datsuns actually the OR's = original ricers? Think about it.

K-mack if you liked the kz bike and sound, you will really enjoy the ZRX. One look and I had to have a ride, then I had to have one. Alot like the old z-1 style bike, but so much better.

Actually me too on the civic over hardley choice. At least with the crx you can go reliably, stop reasonably and they handle great and are truely fun to drive. The hardley on the other hand does no of the above well... but I of course ride a sport bike Kawa ZRX and like to go fast.