IGNORED

cost to section struts and install strut tops.

I am about to get my struts sectioned to install some megan coil-over conversion brackets, as well as weld in some strut tops (camber in front and static ones in the rear).

I am curious if $50 a corner is a good/fair price for the removal, cut, tig weld, and install of the coil-overs.

Is this at a shop? Friend? That is only like 2 hours labor (at a shop rate) to R&R 4 Z struts. I'd say that's a deal if their work is quality. Perhaps I didn't interpret 'removal' correctly, you do mean the person(s) will remove the struts from the car? I have done the cutting/welding myself but I have a welder and have friends with a nice welder. I would give my $200 to someone if I could not do it myself.

it is a shop, and yes they will do everything; i drive my car there and pick it up later with everything installed.

I have never personally gone to him before, but the guy has had a shop going for 10 years and has a very good rep on the some volvo forums.

thanks 70 cam guy, fair price it is!!

I have a bad feeling about any shop that says they'll do this job for $50 per corner. I would expect you to pay 5 or 6 times that amount per corner to do it right at a minimum. Andy: $50 for 2 hours labor? The last time I worked in a shop was in the mid 90's and we charged $75/hr. 15 years later I know the economy sucks but I can't imagine shops making any money at all without that labor rate at least staying flat if not going up.

Edited by jmortensen

I have a bad feeling about any shop that says they'll do this job for $50 per corner. I would expect you to pay 5 or 6 times that amount per corner to do it right at a minimum. Andy: $50 for 2 hours labor? The last time I worked in a shop was in the mid 90's and we charged $75/hr. 15 years later I know the economy sucks but I can't imagine shops making any money at all without that labor rate at least staying flat if not going up.

Jon, you're right, he was was saying 50/corner at 4 corners. $200 is only like 2 hours of shop time at an independent around here. My friends charge $95/hour and they are on the low side. Dealers around here are upwards of 150-190/hr. This is also why I asked if they were removing the struts too because I've dealt with my spindle pins already and no way can a shop come close to 2 hours. Hell, even a team of techs would be hard pressed to R&R 4 Z struts if the spindle pins don't cooperate, without any sectioning.

With the way some of the guys on HBZ are doing that S13 coil swap I could see the cut&weld going faster than the cut/section/weld we've done. Bring me a strut and I could cut it, and weld on that lower perch they are using fairly quickly. In that situation, I could see that $200 is not unreasonable for an experienced welder/fabricator

This is why I asked if this was a friend and if they were removing the struts, it seems silly low. I guess I was premature, if my friend said $200 to cut/weld my struts, I'd be cool with that. If a shop I don't know says $200 to do everything, I'd wonder exactly what John Coffey just said

Just a thought, do you have any Spares -just incase you want to revert to stock or repair damage.

As for a recommendation, you are at the right spot. I am sure that this thread will yield the right info.

The total cost came to $300 out the door, which i had no issue at all paying. Thankfully the shop let me lurk around while all the work was taking place and take photos of the whole process, so I know how difficult it actually was.

Here is a shot of the car after it was finished at the shop.

4586081496_50f9b12644.jpg

There is no way that I could actually drive the car without raising it up just a smidge.

drove up on some 2x4s so that I could get the floor jack under the front cross member, and then raised the front of the car by an inch. I was able to clear the small hump to get out of the parking lot, but the rears were still rubbing on everything on the drive back home.

Today I will be adjusting ride height; probably a half an inch up in the rear and half an inch lower in the front.

also as far as RLCA angle goes... it isnt bad at all. They are just a tab above parallel, so raising the rears that half inch should correct it.