IGNORED

Series 1 Brake Master Options

dclamm

Bought my 9/70 production Series 1 a few weeks ago (it was sitting 16+ years), both front and rear brake reservoirs were empty. Will soon replace rubber hoses at each wheel and clean up rear slaves and front pistons.

My jaw dropped after researching MC rebuild kits (N/A) and the price of NOS MC ($300+). Any advice on options? Will be looking for used-good MC on CL and EBay but they could have the same problems. Have not disassembled my MC but not likely the seals are any good after being dry for so long(?). Best option to open the wallet and get a NOS while they are still available?

Thanks, this forum is great, I search and lurk much more than post as I'm still figuring out what to do next with the sleepy semi-beauty.

My jaw dropped after researching MC rebuild kits (N/A) and the price of NOS MC ($300+). Any advice on options?

There are a couple of MC rebuild kits on ebay, but I haven't used either one, so not sure if they are any good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200452014793&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200348208709&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

-Mike

I ended up getting a newer version when I brought my '71 out of about 15 years of storage. If you're not trying to stay period correct, it's a far less expensive way to go. Just check the archive for information on reversing connections.

Dennis

15 and 16+ years seems to be the theme this week. Is there an option to the early series booster? Like from another year Z? My new 72' (just got it from a guy who let it sit for 15 years) may need a new booster and the small one in the car looks like it may need replacing or rebuilding.

Dave

Rockauto.com has rebuild kits and new m/c's for my early 260Z plus other years. Being happily ignorant of the early 240's, I suggest that you look there. A lot of the different manufacturers/distributors on their site has pictures that might help you determine if the stuff LOOKS correct. I have found that Beck Arnley usually has the correct stuff as compared to others ( Dorman comes to mind). What I have found it that sometimes they have something in stock, sometimes not, sometimes at one price and the next time I look at another. Some parts are in low supply. I THINK that they either scour distributors for warehoused parts or are able to get some parts that have been in short supply and then list them. They are cheaper than most everyone else and sometimes by quite a bit. They ship extremely fast and the shipping costs are not inflated.

For example, I had to do 2 '96 Dodge trucks upper and lower ball joints and idler arms (Thanks Hurricane Ike). I saved over $150 on MOOG over the cheapest I could find in Houston parts stores! Shipping was a lot less than the 8.25 sales tax also - so I saved another $25 there!

There is also a 5% discount code posted recently here.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37752

Edited by oldhemi

Ordered the MC major rebuild kit from Rockauto, along with some other needed pieces. They said it was Bendix brand. Hoping for the best, will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the input!

Ordered the MC major rebuild kit from Rockauto, along with some other needed pieces. They said it was Bendix brand. Hoping for the best, will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the input!

Wow! I thought that the only way to go was to get a new master cylinder. (Which I did from Nissan for $300) It looks like Bendix churned a few more kits out because everyone was out of them a few years ago.

Be completely certain that RockAuto is selling you a kit for the early MC. Ask what year ranges the kit covers and if there is a different part number for the post 8/71 cars. If I recall they didn't have the kits or were going to sell me the later style kit when I tried them years ago.

2c

Jim

Thanks for the heads up JimmyZ. I think after more research the RockAuto rebuild kit is for the late 71-73, after looking more thouroughly at the Rockauto application # (says for E8725, N4326 etc MC). My MC I believe is E4602 though can't find a PN on it (front brake square reservoir towards front of vehicle). Motorman7 sugested classicgarage.com and it says the rebuild kit is for E4602 MC, so think I'll go that route and see if I cancel RockAuto order.