IGNORED

For those who have spent serious money in rebuilding their Z

Heres the short question;

For those that have spent alot of money on their z restoration / customizations, are you happy with the end result, and was the money worth it? if given a chance would you take a check for all you've invested and move elsewhere?

Heres why i ask;

im reaching the point in my life where its time to buy a car, a nice car, even maybe a final car, but what car do i get? ive had a s2000, and its nice but im too tall and its uncomfortable. my wife has an 08 sti wagon, nice, but not jazzed about it either.. the list goes on 350z, 370z, 135i, TTS, nsx, even a GTR, but im not really crazy about any of them. dont get me wrong, i like them, but im not in love with em.

Then the idea of getting another z came, and this time doing it right. this includes getting rid of that L24, doing a fully custom interior, custom paint and body work, and a rotissory resto. I can imaging being in it for excess of 40k before im done, and thats alot of money to be into a 35+ year old car. By the time its done it will probably be equal to what the GTR's are going for used, and thats kind of a steep compairsion, even though to me the GTR's are ugly.

what do you guys feel about you cars, now they are complete?

You ought to take a read through this thread:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36322

$100k plus in his restoration.

I have about 30k in mine but not all at once, I've had the Z since 1976 and it got a 10k restoration in 1996 and probably a 20k restoration over the last 2 years.

I enjoy every minute of having and driving the car. I don't see the money as an investment, I see it as a hobby. People spend fortunes on Golf and Skiing. I go out to the garage and take my car apart and put it back together again. This isn't my daily driver, so I have a different perspective.

40K? Unless the customization takes on a hobby status for you, in my opinion it's too much to spend. You could get a Z in amazing condition for 20-25k.

Interestingly, I'm not totally sure the people on this board would consider your modification "doing it right".

But I'll look forward to other peoples posts on the subject.

thanks for the reply, yes i think that i am most interested in this because of the journey not just the destination, but i want to like where ill end up as well because that will be part of the journey for me too. i plan on doing most of the work myself, and farming out a few items only. 40 - 60k is the overall buget, and the higher i go the more years it will take to complete, and im glad you brought up the hobby aspect, its a good perspective to have about it. yes i did forget im on classicz where people are crazy about making cars authentic, which is nice. But its not for me, i just cant stand the intake and exhaust on the same side, and there is much better engine technology today. I plan on running full s2000 hardware, which i already have (engine, trans, rearend, ecu etc) with a mild turbo kit. I would post here because i intend on keeping the very spirit of the z alive, light, fast, nimble, conservative, i guess i would call it a tasteful resto mod. thanks for the link reading it now..

i wondered how people who finished there expensive cars, and how they felt about them when they were completed? when its under construction its fun and new and challenging, but when its done im scared ill become bored and prefered something else.

Edited by Tidoubleger24

When I'm done with this one, I'll be in it for about $13K to $15K And that includes New wheels, tires, complete tear down and rebuild of every part, replacement of what needs replacing, Paint, custom interior, seats, motor refurb, struts and springs, urethane everything, etc, etc.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3195135

Dave

I could only dream of having a Z car as beautiful as some I have seen on this forum. The 74 260 I have is the first Z I have ever had I traded my 1990 325i convert for this 260 and so far I have put over 1k which is alot for me as Iam disabled and unable to work to bring it the kind of money you guys have invested in your cars. But even if I only have that much into mine I feel it is worth every penny because I have done the work myself and I love the look and lines of the Z car.

For those who have spent serious money in rebuilding their Z

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heres the short question;

For those that have spent alot of money on their z restoration / customizations, are you happy with the end result, and was the money worth it? if given a chance would you take a check for all you've invested and move elsewhere?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only you can decide if its worth it and if you are happy with the end result. So much of what you will expierience is based on how well you plan things out and how committed you are to the completion of the project. We built the Z in my avatar for a client . It took just about two years from start to finish and ate up a lot of money.( broke the $100K barrier) I know it would take a very talented , expierienced or wealthy person to put together something like this in the same time frame or less. Was the car worth it ? Yes It was a blast to build and drive . ( I actually didnt want to turn it over to the customer it was so much fun to drive. ) How does the customer feel . I'm unsure but will ask him. We are up north so driving is somewhat limited to warm weather conditions and the car was colpleted late last fall. I can tell you this much I just bought a nice rust free Z and am contemplating what direction to go with it . I would have probably not have bought a Z if I had not built the LS conversion. New hard parts for a LS1/T56 conversion with racing brakes and suspension conversions will be difficult to keep under $30k. You may be able to scrounge and deal to find components at a lesser cost but you may only save 25% or so. The thought of buying someone elses incompleted project is relevant but it really depends on what they bought and how well they have done things, as well as if its built to your standards and likeing. I have looked for this very same opportunity and have not found one to my likeing, hence the reason for my recent purchase.

Get a pad of paper and divide it into + and - columns and list the positives and negatives of the project. Determine a monetary limit your willing to spend and dont forget to use a completion deadline.

It will come down to how bad you really want this car and whether you have more time or money.

Your first question will be:

Do I like driving around in a $85K car that feels like a car from the 1970s?

That was one of the pitfalls of the Nissan Z Heritage program. Great idea on paper but it was very difficult sell to consumers who were used to a 1990's vehicle feel and performance. Once the Z enthusiast base that had the money was satisfied there were few if any buyers for the totally restored 240Zs.

You comparisons with the GTR and S2000 leads me to believe that you won't be satisfied with a 240Z to justify spending the money.

If you are looking at a Datsun Z from an investment/financial perspective it is all about market timing. This is a great time to buy low and hold till the market recovers... keep the car in operating condition, do not stress the components, and keep it garaged. Buy from someone who has to sell. Don't fall in love with the car, it is just a commodity.

If you are looking at a Datsun Z from a passion perspective, buy the best one you can find. You are buying the previously owners' history and attention to detail. Enjoy the car, customize it if it allows you to increase your enjoyment. The money does not (or should not) matter. Don’t be tempted by other cars. Don’t sell it because you are bored or frustrated. Finally bequeath it a family or friend when you pass.

Keith

Understand that you will never recover your investment, know that you are doing this for yourself and know that this is always going to be a 30+ year old car.

None of us can tell you if you are going to be happy with this, and it sounds like you are not easily impressed.

I enjoyed the journey of building my car, and I gain a lot of satisfaction when I drive it, and when I take it to car shows. It was worth it.

I think it depends on what you want, and nobody here can tell you what that is. If you are not sure, buy a driver and drive it for a while, if the car makes you smile in a relatively stock configuration, I am sure you can the modify it to the point where you are very happy with the car.

Ron

Do I like driving around in a $85K car that feels like a car from the 1970s?
And...
If you are not sure, buy a driver and drive it for a while, if the car makes you smile in a relatively stock configuration, I am sure you can the modify it to the point where you are very happy with the car.
These thoughts are probably the best answer you will get. I don't car how much money and modern technology you inject, the basics are still those of a 30+ year old car. You can make it fast, you can make it handle, you can make it stop, but you can't make the entire driving experience similar to a modern car. If that's going to bother you, it may not be the proper project for you. Edited by Arne

i dont have much time, but i just wanted to say thanks for those who replied, the alternate views put things in a new light, refreshing one at that. Oregon z wish you the best with life and your car! Buying a nice driver first sounds like a perfect trial period to see if i will be impressed with it or not.

The zeds without power steering and with the fatter tyres we fit ,can be tiring to drive for extended periods especially on twisty roads , or in city driving,if you are used to cars with PS..Slow speed manouvering can be a dog.