IGNORED

Inner Tie Rod Help

spitz17

So I brought my car in for alignment and the mechanic tells me that my wheels on both front sides have some play in them. He proceeded to show me by gripping both 3o'clock and 9o'clock sides of the wheels and shook them. He recommended that I changed the inner tie rod ends, and proceeded to tell me that they were super rare and his friend at the Nissan dealership could source a set for $150 EACH side (told me they were the same on each side). :sick:

So I went home and decided to research on the internet a bit more, and came across these inner tie rod ends on rockauto.com:

45A0312.jpg

I ordered two of these, and also the Right and Left side outer tie rod ends because I figured.. do it once, do it right.

When they arrived this morning I jacked the car up and tried to get a good idea of what I was looking at. I was following these instructions I found over the internet: http://www.biopatent.com/alignment.html

When I pulled back the rubber cover of the inner tie rod, and was about to remove the needle and castle nut from the outer tie rod, I noticed the Left and Right Inner Tie Rods were COMPLETELY different than what I ordered...

This was the Left (Driver side):

IMG_4581.jpg

and this was the Right (Passenger side):

IMG_4582.jpg

The ADELCO item I purchased from rockauto.com which was labeled for my year (1970 240Z Series I) is totally different from these two pieces. Furthermore, I was told that the left and right inner tie rods were IDENTICAL by the mechanic and another thread on this forum.

Also, I am currently searching for the inner tie rods and I stumbled upon this ebay posting:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissan-240Z-260Z-280Z-280ZX-Tie-Rod-End-83-82-81-70-80_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem439d2a8ff0QQitemZ290399621104QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

This seems to be identical to the Passenger (Right) side inner tie rod that I took a picture of above, but completely different from the Driver (Left) side inner tie rod. Also, in the eBay posting, it says the item is compatible with:

"240Z, 70-73

70-73 Front Right Inner, Steering Tie Rod End"

I am trying to source the Driver (left) side tie rod, but I cannot find anything online that looks like the one from my picture.

Someone please tell me I'm crazy :ogre:

So I guess my questions are:

1.) Is the ADELCO product I purchased totally incorrect for my 1970?

2.) Are the right and left side suppose to be identical?

3.) If so, should I just purchase two of the Inner Tie Rods in the eBay posting, and ignore the fact that it says "70-73 Front Right Inner."

4.) If the two inner tie rods are different, is the eBay posting the correct item for the passenger (right) side?

5.) Finally, where can I get the Driver side (left) inner tie rod?

Any help would be much appreciated :stupid::love:

Thank you,

spitz17

Om my '73 240 the left side is different from the right. I got a price from my Nissan dealer of $75 and it was both inner and outer as a package. The only way that they sell them any more. I only needed the right side.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...
I have an early Series 1 and they are both the same.

See pictures below.

Perhaps 1 of yours was replaced.

Johnny, I appreciate your help...

My friend told me the threads might be different for the left and right sides. I know for sure the outer tie rod ends are threaded differently... this would make sense if the inners were as well.. :stupid:

Are your threads different? :disappoin

Om my '73 240 the left side is different from the right. I got a price from my Nissan dealer of $75 and it was both inner and outer as a package. The only way that they sell them any more. I only needed the right side.

Gary

Gary,

Thank you for your confirmation. What exactly is different from the left and right side inners? Maybe the thread?

Johnny, I appreciate your help...

My friend told me the threads might be different for the left and right sides. I know for sure the outer tie rod ends are threaded differently... this would make sense if the inners were as well.. :stupid:

Are your threads different? :disappoin

Spitz,

The outer tie rods are different (reversed) because the inners are identical. So even though the inners are flipped left to right, the outer tie rods will spin on the same direction. I just did mine last weekend and if I remember correctly they both spin on towards the firewall. To verify this, spin the nut that locks the outer tie rods on and you will see what I mean.

Also, the microfiche shows one part for both sides:

Socket-Side Rod Inner P/N 48528-E6000 QTY=2

Section 102, Key No. 10

The microfiche doesn't show any supersession so I would imagine these are good through at least 7/73.

Hope that helps.

John

P.S. I had to read my explanation 3 times to be sure it makes sense and I think it does. Let me know if you need me to break it down a little more.

John,

That definately helps, and totally understandable!

I will go to my nearest Nissan dealership to see if they can order a set for me. They probably don't want to deal with me... so I may have to order off that eBay posting. Hope they are of good quality.

spitz17

spitz-

i had almost exactly the same thing happen to me. i went to NTB for an alignment, and they told me they couldn't do it cause the inner tie rod ends were shot. They quoted me at $389 for a new set. :cry: i said no thanks. i looked everywhere for a new set, and eventually called The Z Barn and asked if they had any used inner ends in decent shape. They did, and sent a pair to me really quick. I went to a different alignment shop and requested that they install the new ends, and after inspecting the steering gear, i was told that the inner tie rod ends were fine, but the rack had slack in it. they claimed that they didn't know how to adjust the rack, but they could buy me a new one for $500. again i said no thanks. Just for kicks a few months later, i tried a different alignment shop and they told me that the steering gear was fine, and gave me an alignment.

in the end, i don't really know who was telling me the truth. my advice to you, though, is to get a second opinion before you spend a fortune on very hard-to-find new ends. you may not need them at all. if you do, i recommend trying to find used in good condition. i bought mine for $25 each.

edit: i forgot to tell you that the first shop demonstrated the slack by wiggling a wheel around. these guys must be comparing notes!

Edited by saridout

spitz-

i had almost exactly the same thing happen to me. i went to NTB for an alignment, and they told me they couldn't do it cause the inner tie rod ends were shot. They quoted me at $389 for a new set. i said no thanks. i looked everywhere for a new set, and eventually called The Z Barn and asked if they had any used inner ends in decent shape. They did, and sent a pair to me really quick. I went to a different alignment shop and requested that they install the new ends, and after inspecting the steering gear, i was told that the inner tie rod ends were fine, but the rack had slack in it. they claimed that they didn't know how to adjust the rack, but they could buy me a new one for $500. again i said no thanks. Just for kicks a few months later, i tried a different alignment shop and they told me that the steering gear was fine, and gave me an alignment.

in the end, i don't really know who was telling me the truth. my advice to you, though, is to get a second opinion before you spend a fortune on very hard-to-find new ends. you may not need them at all. if you do, i recommend trying to find used in good condition. i bought mine for $25 each.

edit: i forgot to tell you that the first shop demonstrated the slack by wiggling a wheel around. these guys must be comparing notes!

No kidding eh? These people are definately comparing notes. I guess, in this economy, people will do anything to make a buck! I will take into account what you mentioned, and will give Z Barn a call sometime in the near future. Right now, the car is in a shop for alignment without replacing the inner tie rods, so lets just keep our fingers crossed that there is nothing wrong with them.

Thank you for your helpful experience!

spitz17

Black Dragon shows the same rack for 70-73, $399 rebuilt.

AutoZone shows the same rack for 70-73, $378 rebuilt.

RockAuto shows the rack for a '71 for $297 - 83 (core) = $215 rebuilt.

Nothing listed for a '70.

If the first 2 are correct on the year span then the '70-'73 racks should be the same.

IF (big if) that's correct, and IF (another not so big if) it was me, I'd bite the bullet and go for the rebuilt rack from Rock.

Hopefully, all components are rebuilt and checked to be tight and within spec.

If $75 right side (inner/outer kit) and $75 left side is accurate, I'd spend the extra $65 for a refurbed complete rack and pony up the extra cost of the outer tie rod ends. Do it once, and do it TOTALLY right means never having to return. Handle it once.

Always had good dealings with RockAuto in regards to their parts if that's any consolation.

When the mechanic shook your wheels, did he point out slop in the tie rods? If not, there is a good chance that your wheel bearings are LOOSE!

Not saying that is your problem, but I have been down that road with "mechanics".

With tie rods, you want to look at the ball portions movement to see if they are shot. Its easiest to check on an alignment rack that has a revolving disc that the tire sits on.

I have not ever checked a rack for play. But, if it really is bad, I agree that rockauto would be the best bet. However, if the outers really look good, I would leave them. But that's me these days - I am now all about saving money. Its a pretty easy job to do later - if needed - compared to rack replacement, ball joints and control arm bushings in the front end.

Just my opinion - worth what I charge.

mlc240z - I may possibly just go with the whole rebuild. You're right, do it once, do it TOTALLY right.

oldhemi - The wheel bearings were redone already, professionally. But yea, that was my initial thought as well.

Unfortunately I ran into another problem today during alignment. They didn't mention anything about tie rod ends... inner or outer... (a different shop). This time they straight up told me my strut was incorrect on the right side!!! DOH!

Apparently it was replaced with a 280Z strut housing, which explains why I had to change my passenger side front hub out when putting on the AZC Brake kit for 240Z hubs. I guess they replaced the whole side, including the struts... Z BARN it is!