IGNORED

Series 1 fuel door knob....

mally002

Hey guys,

I searched around but didn't find a source, I am needing a knob for the fuel door but can't find them anywhere. Are they all NLA?

I think there are 2-3 different styles, but at this point I'm getting desperate.

I didn't realize when I took on this project almost 15 months ago all the small pieces that were missing. Anyway, if someone could point me in the right direction on where to obtain a knob please let me know.

Also, does anyone know where the fuel door attaches should there be a rod going through the spring on the right side interior of the door. I notice when I close the fuel door it wants to kick out on the right side.

After mine was stolen last year, I found that good ones were hard to find. I got the last good spare that Jim Frederick had - it wasn't cheap, but it was the only decent one available last Fall.

Since they are so easy to steal (as I found out the hard way), I decided that I really wanted a spare, for just-in-case. So I sent a typical example I got from Dave Irwin (bad chrome and corroded) out to be re-chromed. It turned out quite nice, almost as nice as the show quality piece I got from Jim. That one is the one on the car now, with the really good one safely packed in a drawer here in the house. I could still stand to find another new base gasket, though.

Randy, if you wanted to go the re-chrome route, I have a few gas door knobs on hand. I was planning on re-chroming one of them to keep as a spare, but have no plans for the other. If you can't source a respectable one suitable for 797, keep me in mind, I'm sure we could work something out.

PS - Not sure what is causing your gas door fitment problem, but I have extras also.

Edited by geezer

26th,

I did search the subject and read both threads.....great information.

However none answered my question on the fitment or a source, thus the new thread. The Ebay source was over two years ago.

And what are you doing up at 4:47 am............:sleep:

The Ebay source was over two years ago.

Randy,

If you are looking for a reproduction of the early plastic fuel door knob, contact Bryan at winkaslink@yahoo.com. Bryan made the repro knobs and he may still have a few left. They don't come with the chromed potmetal base though, so you will still need to source one of those (the early and later knobs both use the same base).

-Mike

Edited by Mike B