IGNORED

Suspension Work for '78 280Z

Davey G

If you are happy with the current height, going with the KYBs and sticking with the stock springs is fine. If you decide to upgrade later to lowering springs, then the KYBs might not match up well. I believe they state that they should not be used with stiffer springs.

If you are happy with the current height, going with the KYBs and sticking with the stock springs is fine. If you decide to upgrade later to lowering springs, then the KYBs might not match up well. I believe they state that they should not be used with stiffer springs.

Thanks Jeff. I'll post what I decide...as well as the results. -dg

I have determined that most of the front bushings will be replaced, along with most of the rear (a few were replaced already). The springs are good (as I had surmised) but all struts are blown. Additionally, the exhaust was not routed properly, and the differential bangs it on the down stroke:ermm:. These items will be fixed within the next week, so I'll report on the differences.

I have determined that most of the front bushings will be replaced, along with most of the rear (a few were replaced already). The springs are good (as I had surmised) but all struts are blown. Additionally, the exhaust was not routed properly, and the differential bangs it on the down stroke:ermm:. These items will be fixed within the next week, so I'll report on the differences.

Are you sure the Diff is hitting the exhaust on downshift? Usually a clunk in the rear is because of a worn differential mount. Zs are notorious for this.

Are you sure the Diff is hitting the exhaust on downshift? Usually a clunk in the rear is because of a worn differential mount. Zs are notorious for this.

Not on downshifting, but when going over bumps, etc. The pipe was not routed properly.

• 2 weeks later...
The suspension components are ordered, and hopefully on their way. Also some weatherstripping. Fuel filter, seat foam, and new vinyl come next.

If your are interested, you can come by and see what I have done with my '78. I am in the midst of re-assembly though. I live in Spring. PM me if you like.

If your are interested, you can come by and see what I have done with my '78. I am in the midst of re-assembly though. I live in Spring. PM me if you like.

ZCurves

I'd like that. I'll PM with some dates soon.

Davey G

The parts for the suspension work came in today - new struts (KYB), bushings, tie-rod ends, strut mount insulators and bearings, sway bar end links, steering rack boots. When all together I'll see how the differential mount is doing. Rear control arms have new urethane.

The car continues to run well, though a bit loud with only the rear muffler. It looks good on the exterior. Next it will get new weatherstripping (already in possession) and doors adjusted, and be taken on a day road trip! :classic: Then new foam & upholstery. I've already added new hood bumpers and levelers, new vent cowl grommets, new hatch door rubber bumpers and interior rivets. It's coming along!