IGNORED

Nissan 370Z Meets Datsun 240Z

Mike

The 370Z is a 21st century incarnation of the 240Z, period. NO it's not the same by a longshot, but neither is the rest of the world 40 years later, is it?

I own a 240, 280, Z31 AND a 350. I've driven every Z ever built and IMO the 350Z is the best all around performing Z car of them all. I have not yet driven a 370, but I would assume that it is the 350 more refined. The look definitely harkens back to the 240/260/280Z.

That all being said, you don't really "drive" the modern Z as much as "operate" it. Several computers, stability control, climate control, power assist, drive by wire throttle, ABS, A/C, sensors, etc, etc. Fun, yes, but pretty foolproof.

With the 240, YOU are the only computer. YOU direct the machine to do what you want it to do. The 240Z is MUCH more driver oriented and as a result, the experience is much different.

Do you control the machine OR does the machine direct you? Long road trip, give me a 350Z or 370Z any day. But for a fun day behind the wheel where DRIVING is what it is all about, the 240Z wins hands down.

My 2 centZ!

Edited by zcar70

The 370Z is a 21st century incarnation of the 240Z, period. NO it's not the same by a longshot, but neither is the rest of the world 40 years later, is it?

I own a 240, 280, Z31 AND a 350. I've driven every Z ever built and IMO the 350Z is the best all around performing Z car of them all. I have not yet driven a 370, but I would assume that it is the 350 more refined. The look definitely harkens back to the 240/260/280Z.

That all being said, you don't really "drive" the modern Z as much as "operate" it. Several computers, stability control, climate control, power assist, drive by wire throttle, ABS, A/C, sensors, etc, etc. Fun, yes, but pretty foolproof.

With the 240, YOU are the only computer. YOU direct the machine to do what you want it to do. The 240Z is MUCH more driver oriented and as a result, the experience is much different.

Do you control the machine OR does the machine direct you? Long road trip, give me a 350Z or 370Z any day. But for a fun day behind the wheel where DRIVING is what it is all about, the 240Z wins hands down.

My 2 centZ!

Very well said. I don't really care for the stability control, so I rigged up a timer that turns off the stability control everytime I start the 370Z. I can turn it back on if I want by pressing the factory push button. :cool: The rev match feature is really cool because it works flawlessly everytime. I still prefer my 240Z at the autocross track (and it is faster there too) and short runs around town. As we both have mentioned, each car has its strong points and if you appreciate it in that light you will be can have your cake and eat it too.:love:

The 370Z is nice yes, but it still needs the Opera Performance front nose kit to finish the 240Z look. Ain't fly by wire a little scary considering it relies on a computer to NOT malfuntinon since it's mechanically not connected? Who was this design student again, very interesting?

Edited by WingZr0

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently Nissan is still using the 240Z to show along side the new 40th anniversary 370Z. Here are pictures from the recent Chicago auto show. It looks like the 240Z might be the silver Vintage Z that Nissan kept, VIN# HLS30-32089.

http://jalopnik.com/5468538/nissan-370z-40th-anniversary-bows-with-dastun-240z-gt+r-lurking-behind

-Mike

Edited by Mike B