IGNORED

I need help with turning on my 260z

Jfelix

Okay. I recently got a 260z & i mostly put everything together. after i put everything together i tried to start the car. But i couldn't. i check everything and i found out that the sparkplugs didn't spark. i checked the timming out everything was good. and i found out that the ignition coil wasn't receiving any spark neither...

So i don't know what to do after that, would it some fuse that doesn't work or some wiring gone bad???

hmm assuming your coil wiring is un molested, check that when the ignition is on, your getting 12v on the + side of the coil, if not, check your fuses.

then look at your coil wiring, make sure the connections are clean, and tight.

sometimes the "slip on" terminal connections dont make good contact.

If you happen to have a spare coil laying around, you could just swap it out real quick if everything else looks good.

after that you in for more intense wiring investigation.

There is nothing wrong with the coil wiring...

also i forgot to mention that the early owner installed a kind of push button starter, so probably the previous owner messed something around with the wiring..

Thank you for you help..

Did you confirm that you have +12 to the (+) terminal of the coil when the ignition is turned on?

To test your coil, remove the wires from the (-) terminal. Pull loose the distributor end of the high tension cable running from the coil to the distributor. Position the free end very close (1/4" or closer, but not touching) to a ground point somewhere (e.g. a shock tower bolt). Connect one end of a wire to ground, and tap the other end on the (-) post of the coil. (Don't touch the bare wire!) You should see a spark jumping between the high tension wire and ground.

If you have +12 to a good coil and no spark, then your distributor isn't grounding the coil. Either that, or your points might be stuck closed. You'll have to trace it from there. (I'm assuming the 260Z has a points ignition -- don't know for sure.)

Edited by FastWoman