IGNORED

Distributor configuration

Tophu530

I've got 72 240z that i bought about 7 months ago. I put in an l28 from a 280z with about 50,000 original miles and so everything is hooked up and I've been dieing to get this thing running seeing as it's my first car, but the thing wont start. even spraying gasoline into the carbs and sucking fuel up from the take isn't working. I still haven't tuned the engine yet so that could be a problem, but the one thing i'm not 100% sure on is the distributor. The manuals i have show which wires go where on the cap but there is no real reference point so i'm not sure if the wires are in the right ones. so if anyone could show a picture with labels for each wire going into the cap that would help.

yeah I took off the fuel injection from the engine and bolted on the SUs from the original l24. so yeah i guess the distributer isn't the biggest thing i need help on cause i'm pretty sure i've got that all right but if anyone could help at al with starting the car cause I have everything hooked up. I tested the starter the alternator, and but new oil, radiator fluid, and everything should run but still the engine wont fire.

yeah I took off the fuel injection from the engine and bolted on the SUs from the original l24. so yeah i guess the distributer isn't the biggest thing i need help on cause i'm pretty sure i've got that all right but if anyone could help at al with starting the car cause I have everything hooked up. I tested the starter the alternator, and but new oil, radiator fluid, and everything should run but still the engine wont fire.

If the distributor is not working right the car isn't going to run. Have you check to make sure your getting spark?

Where in Oregon are you? You are in a highly 240Z owner, populated area. Let them know where you are and maybe one of them could help you out. 4 eyes are better than 2.

1) the #1 spark plug.

2) turn the engine with your thumb over the piston as it rises up and you should feel air escaping, That's your compression stroke.

3) Use a wrench to slowly get the piston to the very top (I use a screwdriver in the hole to watch the piston, to make sure it's at it's highest point)

4) pull the cap and look at the rotor on the distributor. Mentally mark where it's pointing.

5) place the cap back on and make sure the #1 spark plug wire is centered over that position.

6) The firing order is 1. 5. 3. 6. 2. 4. in a counter-clockwise rotation.

7) Also check the timing notch on the crank pully, it should be about centered with 0*

Then go from there, put the plug back in, plug wire on, coil wire on and secure.

Or grab an extra spark plug and and check for spark off the #1 plug wire when you try to fire it up.

let us know,

Dave

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...