IGNORED

Stock 71 240z needs tires, pics please

woytovich

You want a wheel and tire assembly of between 24.5--25 inches in diameter.

That is an easy rule of thumb, but if you use Discount Tires page I posted earlier it will calculate how off you speedometer will be and a whole lot of good numbers when looking at different tire sizes. Tire with is a good one to look at if you race you can use the data about HP and torque at the wheel to calculate optimal tire size and so on.

put new Kumho Solus KR21 - P185 70R14's on last year, only seen about 200 miles so far since we have a little issue called snow up here! They hold the corners great and look great on the car.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/album.php?albumid=87&pictureid=532

I have them installed on my donor car right now, but no pictures, if you like I can shoot one tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

4361065804_b4b94fd0f1_b.jpg

Currently running 195/60/15's... 24.2" or there about in height. I was actually thinking of parting with my 15" panasports...

Looking for more performance oriented rubber.

205/60/15's rub on my front bodywork, just BARELY, and I refuse to bend it or cut it.

The list of quality tires is just about 0 for 15" rims in the 195-205 section width. However, if you go to 16" the world opens up, and it rains valve stems and fords and chevies get along... all is right with the universe.

However, I have also been thinking of going to a 14" rim, as I can get more race tires in that size in a 195 to 205 section width (thank you miata owners of the world)

Something to think about if your car is a good weather only garage queen like mine.

Have you fitted 205-50 for rubbing? They're a little more than 1.5" shorter than the 60s...

On my first Z we had the same fitment problem the problem it is not height, but width in the front. The 205 would fit nice in the back however. If you haven't added torque to the power band stick with a narrower tire you get better gas mileage and quicker turning response.

I totally agree with that statement forester. I noticed going from a 205 to a 195 that my car felt livelier and crisper.

On a side note, if you are talking about rubbing on the front end of a Z, when I had my MSA front air dam, I had none at all with my 205/60/15's. It is only when I switched to my OEM front with the spook I had some rubbing. I thought about ways to fix it. I loosened all the bolts and moved parts around, but no joy. I still had the slightest rub on the passenger side.

Since your tire moves on an arc rather than a pivoting around a point, you can solve the tire rubbing in two different ways. You can either reduce the aspect ratio, like going from a 205/60 to a 205/55, OR you can reduce the section width, like going from a 205/60 to a 195/60. BOTH reduce the tires overall diameter by a different amount. One shrinks the sidewall while keeping the width the same, the other reduces both a little bit. I wanted to keep my overall diameter close to what I had, and the 195/60's were a very nice fit.

I totally agree with that statement forester. I noticed going from a 205 to a 195 that my car felt livelier and crisper.

On a side note, if you are talking about rubbing on the front end of a Z, when I had my MSA front air dam, I had none at all with my 205/60/15's. It is only when I switched to my OEM front with the spook I had some rubbing. I thought about ways to fix it. I loosened all the bolts and moved parts around, but no joy. I still had the slightest rub on the passenger side.

Since your tire moves on an arc rather than a pivoting around a point, you can solve the tire rubbing in two different ways. You can either reduce the aspect ratio, like going from a 205/60 to a 205/55, OR you can reduce the section width, like going from a 205/60 to a 195/60. BOTH reduce the tires overall diameter by a different amount. One shrinks the sidewall while keeping the width the same, the other reduces both a little bit. I wanted to keep my overall diameter close to what I had, and the 195/60's were a very nice fit.

My clearance issue was the sub-frame (or the equivalent)when fully turned on the front side. Just barely.

Ya I've laughed so many times inside my self with people telling me they want their car to handle better so they put bigger or wider tires on or they think it might help with acceleration. Never thinking about wieght, tire drag and torsional deflection of the tire, and several other factors. The other is when people over look brakes as a performance upgrade tires and breaks are what win races on a track. Every change effects the car and makes more change a car is a package every part(or lack of) counts to how it performs.