IGNORED

Stock 71 240z needs tires, pics please

woytovich

This is really more of an aesthetics question than a performance question.

I need to put new tires on my new-to-me stock 71 240z. I have the stock (dealer option?) slotted alloy wheels on it. I want tires that "look good"... I know, I know: that's a subjective matter...

So: If you have a stock-ish 240, especially with these wheels, please post up pictures and include the tire brand, model and size. I'd LOVE to see front and side shots...

I'm not looking for race tires or anything exotic...

THANK YOU!

Mark

Mark, judging from how the tires fit your rims, your slots (probably dealer installed) appear to be 6" wide. If you are looking for tires that will fill the wheel openings well, the 195/70-14 size you have on it now is probably your best bet, although there isn't much in the way of performance tires in that size anymore. Also bear in mind that those old Michelins you have now do tend to be a bit narrow in the tread. Different brands are all a bit different that way.

The size of your rims does limit your choices some. If you are looking for a narrower, more stock size tire, use a P185/75R14. For wider, consider either 205/60-14 or 215/60-14 (if you can find any 215s, they're getting scarce these days). Both of those sizes are shorter than stock or what you have now, so they tend to make the wheel opening look large, unless you plan to lower the car.

To use more modern performance tires, many people these days change to larger diameter rims, at least 15", more commonly 16" or even 17". That allows you to select modern performance rubber without going too short on the overall diameter. But that means you have to replace the vintage slots, which I personally would be reluctant to do.

Personally, I prefer the original tall-sidewall look on these older cars, and so I stayed with the same size that you have on yours now. My rims (a different vintage style) are the same 14x6 size as yours, my tires are 195/70-14 Toyo Eclipse (may not be available in all parts of the country). I like how they fit and look on my stock height 240Z.

attachment.php?attachmentid=34119&stc=1&d=1264297230

attachment.php?attachmentid=34120&stc=1&d=1264297230

attachment.php?attachmentid=34121&stc=1&d=1264297769

post-8596-14150809749896_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150809750194_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150809750454_thumb.jpg

Sounds like your aesthetic jives with mine. I have no plans to do anything with the suspension for now and I plan on keeping these wheels (mostly for the original-ness).

Thanks for the pic. I hope others will post up with good pictures and similarly insightful input.

What makes a tire look "vintage" for cars of this era?

I'm looking at the Pirelli P400 TOURING based on price but I'm not overly impressed with the look...

I'm looking at the tirerack and mavis (http://www.mavistire.com) tire websites...

I'm trying to learn what makes a tire look 1971 240z period correct... (or incorrect)

Mark

The 185/75 size is more than likely what I'll put on, I have the vintage American Racing wheels for my 71. One thing I did on my last Z the 72 that gave a more classic look was to paint the lettering. The 72 I put custom rims that where 1" taller then stock so a Honda size would fit well and open a lot of tire selections for the car. I went with a Yokohama AVS tire, a modern directional tire, with great traction. I wanted a more vintage look so I bought a tire pen and painted the AVS and Yokohama lettering in, it looked great

If you come up with any questions, let me know. I've been out of the tire/wheel business for just over 12 years now, but still current enough in tire stuff to work with vintage cars!

Do you have some suggestions for a good performance tire in a 185/75/14 preferred, or in the 195/70/14. The more performance tire is better, tread life really isn't an issue.

Do you have some suggestions for a good performance tire in a 185/75/14 preferred, or in the 195/70/14. The more performance tire is better, tread life really isn't an issue.
If you want performance in a near-stock 14" size, to my knowledge the only option is the Hoosier Speedster. It is a DOT marked, treaded vintage race tire. While not really meant for street use, it should work.

It is available in two 14" sizes, a 185/70-14 and a 205/65-14. Both are a touch shorter than stock, both are rated and measured on a 6" rim.

Pretty much all other 14" near-stock choices are minivan fodder. But then again, the stock tires that these cars came with in the '70s were even worse than minivan fodder by today's standards.