IGNORED

Timing chain issues

cmbova

I am currently trying to replace the timing chain on my 1976 280Z, This is my frist 280Z. So I am following the manual. I need to remove the crack shaft pully to then remove the timing chain cover. The manual states I need to lock up the engine to losen the retaining nut on the crack shaft. It states the best way to do this is to remove the fly wheel inspection cover and then I can lock up the engine. Are they talking about the removing the starter to access the fly wheel?

If the car is auto put it in park which will lock everything.

If its manual, put it gear,third or fourth then apply hand brake

This should lock the engine enough for you to undo the crank pully bolt.

If that doesn't work,there is a tin plate which can be removed under the engine at the bottom of the bellhousing, giving access to the flywheel. Cut a suitable piece of wood and jamb between the teeth and the casing, which should stop it turning.

Putting an auto tranny into park WILL NOT "lock everything". If it did, how would you start the car? :)

If you have an auto tranny, it may be necessary to follow the instructions provided in the manual to prevent the flywheel from turning, however, this may require a special tool. I'm not sure I'd simply wedge a piece of wood in there but it may be your only option. I'll check the manual and see what instructions you're referring to. Assuming you're looking at and FSM, can you provide a page reference to where the instructions are that you're looking at?

No luck in the search of the FSM. Hopefully you have an MT and can just put it in gear to prevent the engine from turning over while you loosen the crank pullley bolt. If not, perhaps someone else will chime in with a procedure for holding things in place with an AT.

The flywheel locking tool I was talking about looks something like this and bolts to either an open thread bore on the tranny bell housing, or in place of the starter depending on the design of the tool. The teeth on the tool engage with the teeth on the flywheel to prevent it from turning. This tool is also known as a ring gear stopper.

00-5003-02.jpg

Edited by =Enigma=