Triple Carbs - Page 2 - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Triple Carbs

Featured Replies

Short version Mikuni manifold is more expensive and more rare from what i have read. In my car it also allowed me to run an ITG filter where as the long manifold would not have clearance. I love my twin 44's on my L20 510. I have 200 airs and 150 fuels. My car is running rich so I am ordering 145, 140, 135, 130's while I dyno tune.

whats wrong with the mikuni manifold? the one im looking at is the short version?

The short Mikuni manifold is so short that it has a "S" bend in it, not ideal. Other brands are straight (Cannon, Pierce, Hayashi, etc.) and better. Don't forget to at least port match the manifold/head before installing it or you lose the benefit.

You guys remember, jets and such are relative to your altitude. Consider that before you go changing things based on someone in Denver's recommendation when you live in Miami. Ideally, set them on a dyno with tailpipe sensors for your richness and such...

  • Author

so would it be a waste to buy the mikunis for 1500 if im stuck with the short manifold? He wont separate them..

so would it be a waste to buy the mikunis for 1500 if im stuck with the short manifold? He wont separate them..

It all depends on your point of view. If I wanted triple carbs again I would only settle for Mikuni 44s. Since Mikuni no longer makes complete carbs you need to weigh than in your decision. $1500 for Mikunis isn't a can't pass it up opportunity, but there is only a limited supply....

I wanted more performance within the constraints of the rules which I race the car in (unlimited, but no boost adders (e.g. turbo/supercharger)), so I oppted for individual throttle body fuel injection (see my Z photos). I have the coolness of triple carbs, but with modern day tuneability. It isn't as cheap as $1500, but it also makes more power.

So you need to weigh what is important to you and everyone is different....

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

ok i didnt get the mikunis after all.. guy sold them for a good chunk of change. So im on the hunt again, What do you guys think of dellorto 40's for a l28? they are tuned with 32 chokes, 57 idle jets, 132 main jet, 180 air correction jet, 38 pump jet and #11 emulsion tube?

You can run 40's on a L28, it will run out of air at higher RPM's (around 5500 - 6000 according to the books) choke, jets, tubes, dunno, try it and correct it.

If you want to run a big cam, forget the 40's

Chris

  • Author
You can run 40's on a L28, it will run out of air at higher RPM's (around 5500 - 6000 according to the books) choke, jets, tubes, dunno, try it and correct it.

If you want to run a big cam, forget the 40's

Chris

thanks that's what i needed to know.. I guess its 44-45's or nothing.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.