IGNORED

'72 240z Muffler recommendations?

dntpunchgrandpa

Gnose - never a driver - spectator or an adhoc crewman at the stockers when I was young and strong. Plainville, Riverside, Stafford, Thompson, Norwood MA, Danbury, New London. Lebanon Valley(Best Food) and Middletown in NY when I wanted to watch some dirt tracking. After observing the cost, commitment of time, education(breaking stuff) to become an owner/driver, I decided that was not for me.

I had several MGB's, MGA's, a '67 XKE and a '65 AH 3000 in the late 60's and early 70's as DD's before I bought the Z new in '74. I was tired of windscreens, leaky ragtops and useless heaters. The Z's "creature comforts" appealed to me. Of all those British cars, I still regret selling the MGA coupe

I'll check out the video!

Hemi - it amazing we didn't cross paths at any of those tracks back in the day (my dad and uncles were race fans - the figure 8 at Black Rock, Ct was a favorite). I had Healeys, MGs, Spitfires and finally in '74 stopped by Sharp's and bought a 260. The first sports car that I could actually drive in the rain, at night and across country without breaking down.

Back to the original muffler topic - I've looked into the Sebring and they'd be pretty high on my list if I was looking for a single outlet muffler.

But in my quest to keep my car as period-looking as possible, I've been looking around trying to find a good way to replicate one of the old systems with dual vertical tips, but using modern parts. Would like to end up with something similar to the Abarth in the attached pic.

I recently found a likely candidate in the Magnaflow 11148. Natural finish stainless, small 3.5x7 oval, case length of 14", single 2.25" inlet and dual 2" outlets. Just got an email back from Magnaflow Tech with the last needed dimension - the center to center spacing of the outlets is 2.75". That should be just about perfect for a pair of 2.5" OD tips. I think I've finally picked out my muffler. :bulb:

post-8596-14150809423812_thumb.jpg

I think you made a good choice with that magnaflow Arne. I just bought the #11378 dual in/dual out for my twice pipe system at a pretty good price from Hottexhaust.com. Free delivery too. I did look up the #11148 on their site and found it listed incorrectly. I think they have the wrong illustration but the rest of the info is correct, but not sure if it is constructed of aluminized steel or matt finish stainless. It would be worthwhile comparing their price. If you could get a few others interested, they will even entertain price offers.

http://www.hottexhaust.com/

Edited by geezer

Arne, Thats exactly what I had in mind, I 'm going to go have a look at the Magnaflow website, and gnosez I looked at some of the dual exhausts like that 08A my only concern is that I dont want the outlet tips to be spaced out too far and awkward looking like what Arne mentioned.

with the sebring 67 its a hefty 22 inches long

but I am intrigued by 09B

Arne - did you happen to look at the Sebring 09-RL, the 09B-RL, and 67, and the 08A?

All dual exhausts and some with dual inlets.

Sure did. None are period-looking as is, and none would work as needed to mount vertically as the period look requires. Outlet spacing is too wide on the 08A. The 2.5" pipe size is also excessive for a stock L24. Nice looking pieces, though.

DNTPUNCHGRANDPA

I installed a HOOKER 1 in 2 out muffler on my 1970. The sound is deep and throaty and nothing even close to that spurned rice rocket sound. Any good muffler shop can install it without the unsightly under hang. No need to bother the heat shield either. I was able to create an agressive DTM look from behind with 45 degree exhaust tips. A 2 1/2" exhaust fits nicely into it. It sounds really nice at speed as well, not deafening at all.

CICLISMO

did some looking and research on mufflers and the correlation with gaining power and whether back-pressure plays an important part in low end power and that not having any back-pressure is actually a detriment. And according to the flowbench the best muffler is no muffler. just food for thought.

heres the link:

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscellaneous/exhausttheory.htm

Arne, I also have been looking at available parts to build the stacked tip exhaust, but was missing the dual out separation spec on the Magnaflow 11148, thanks for sharing.

I believe the last company to offer this bolt on arrangement for a Z was Monza (Pacesetter) which no longer makes it, they do however still sell the slash cut resonator tips (see link) in various sizes, that as far as I can see in the pics, can be cut to length and welded on the Magnaflow 11148.

http://www.pacesetterexhaust.com/tips.htm