IGNORED

24th October 1969 - The S30-series Z public debut.

HS30-H

The picture of the Safari Gold Fairlady Z-L is my favorite I think. Similar looks of awe and wonderment all round.

Ron,

Most of those guys seem to be thinking that they'll never be able to afford one....!

If you look carefully, you can see that the fellow on the extreme right has picked up a few flyers and sales brochures at the show, and one of them is clearly the Nissan full model range brochure with NISSAN in big white letters on the front. Here it is below, along with a few other flyer and brochure images from the show ( the bigger ones won't fit on my scanner.... ):

post-2116-14150808693241_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150808693935_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150808694605_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150808695151_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150808695608_thumb.jpg

what's the L stand for in fairlady Z L? i'm guessing left hand drive but doesn't fairlady mean that?

Alan has already responded that the L denoted Luxe / Luxury, but there is another misconception within this statement, or so it seems to me.

That is that a Left hand drive vehicle is or could be a Fairlady. This may be too simplistic, but from what I've read/heard the only true Fairlady Z's are those that are RIGHT hand drive and Japanese Domestic Market sales.

Alan, could you elaborate/clarify this?

Simply put, does the name "Fairlady Z" denote a JDM Z exclusively? (RHD would be inherent in the JDM)

Alternatively, were there Fairlady Z's available for sale outside of Japan?

Lastly, were ANY Fairlady Z's Left Hand Drive?

I ask this, because the Sports (SP/SR 311 series) (aka Roadster) ALSO has this conumdrum afoot. (The "Roadster" was also badged as a Fairlady in Japan, and there have been discussions as to the validity of a LHD Fairlady SPL-311.)

Thanks for the pictures, they were quite entertaining.

E

Simply put, does the name "Fairlady Z" denote a JDM Z exclusively? (RHD would be inherent in the JDM)

Alternatively, were there Fairlady Z's available for sale outside of Japan?

Lastly, were ANY Fairlady Z's Left Hand Drive?

Enrique,

No official factory LHD models of S30-series Z were badged as 'Fairlady Z' or 'Fairlady 240Z' / 'Fairlady 260Z' as far as I am aware.

I think the only examples I've seen were pictures of a few HLS30 factory Works rally cars, and the odd one or two LHD circuit racing cars in Japan, so I'd consider these the exception that proves the rule.

Alan T.

Interesting, as that concurs with what I've gleaned from various sources.

So, if we were to "invert" the rule; a Fairlady Z (240/260 as well) would denote a JDM car specifically, which basically says that you can't call it a Fairlady just because it's Right Hand Drive, and it additionally specifies that a LEFT hand drive Fairlady is essentially non-existent.

Would that be fair to say?

Thanks for your input.

E

Thanks for the thread, Alan. Always great to see those pictures! Happy 40th to HLS30U-00027 this month. HLS30U-00026 turns 40 next month. I think you should do it, Mike. If you get shot, at least you'll be standing at the firing line next to me!

Thanks so much Alan.

Several things I noticed. I like the blue one also, thinking about my #110, but allas, it was badged 12-69, and the above dosen't appear to have a blue interior. Look closely at the front and back, are those the tie down hooks on the right rear and tow brackets on the front?

Post 13 of the engines show the 432 with a 7 blade fan and the other has a 4 blade fan with a blue air cleaner. Interesting.

Happy 40th to all.

Bonzi Lon

I ask this, because the Sports (SP/SR 311 series) (aka Roadster) ALSO has this conumdrum afoot. (The "Roadster" was also badged as a Fairlady in Japan, and there have been discussions as to the validity of a LHD Fairlady SPL-311.)

E

Just to throw something else into the mix, 1500 Roadsters were badged Fairlady in all markets, but from 65 on the US models were badged 1600's. That being said, one of my employees has a 66 1600 that was sold in Japan to a soldier, driven for 2 years and shipped to the USA. It is a LHD car, but it has Fairlady badges, tear drop marker lenses (did not come on the US versions until 69) and bullet style mirrors. So it is a LHD car with JDM features from new. It is a well documented car with photos to show that is how it came from the factory.

So, if we were to "invert" the rule; a Fairlady Z (240/260 as well) would denote a JDM car specifically, which basically says that you can't call it a Fairlady just because it's Right Hand Drive, and it additionally specifies that a LEFT hand drive Fairlady is essentially non-existent.

Would that be fair to say?

In a word, yes. No LHD S30-series Zs were officially marketed and sold with 'Fairlady' name badging, as far as I am aware.

SP/SR roadsters are a whole other kettle of fish....

Back to the main topic: Here are some pics of what I believe was the first official S30-series Z related sales flyer / pamphlet to be freely distributed in Japan. I am told that these were handed out from the booth on Nissan's stand at the '69 Tokyo Auto Show. It unfolds to become a two-sided mini poster ( 44cm x 36cm ) with a quaint mix of photos and illustrations, and a fair bit of technical spec content. It's all part of that initial "Your Dreams Come True" Japanese sales campaign:

post-2116-14150808699661_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150808700484_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Fantastic Alan,

I have never seen this flyer until Alan showed us,also never seen in auctions.Just great:love:

Thank you Alan,you have lots of rare items which even people in Japan never be able to have them.

This thread is wonderful,I feel your full of power and deeply involved with S30.

Happy Anniversary:love:

kats

Alan,

I just got the link to the New York Times article to work and as I read, I think the October 22nd link you are looking for would be found from this document; ...Nissan division in North America, in a news release. “The Z is just such a vehicle.” Interesting what we might find NNA saying.

Thanks for the wonderful scans.