IGNORED

New cap-less fuel fillers

TomoHawk

Has anyone seen the new filer caps on the newer cars? I know the Ford Fusion (Hybid) has it. It's a fuel filler neck without the screw-off cap. It just has a hole for the gas filler tube to be inserted, and it has a pressure seal on it.

It has my interest because if you had one on your S30, you would not need a gas cap at all; You just open the filler door and push the nozzle in the hole.

For more information: http://cars.about.com/od/ford/ig/2010-Ford-Fusion-Hybrid-pics/2010-Fusion-Hybrid-capless.htm

U=Youtube video:

thxZ

Edited by TomoHawk

This is what passes for innovation? Give me a break.
It is innovation. What else would you call it? You might want to read up on it a little more before you pass it off. I'm not going to link anything else about it here since it's really not a retro fit item like Tomo hinted at but it is innovative.

I'd like to retrofit something to my car. It doesn't seem to have a screen trap-door or something in the filler neck to prevent debris or a siphoning tube from going down in there and not having a chained cap would be better than putting the current one in your pocket so you don't lose it. One time I even grabbed a diesel fuel pump handle and almost stuck it in there. Fortunately, the diesel nozzle was black with gunk and I noticed that. You can stick just about any nozzle in there, so the capless one would only allow the unleaded nozzle to fit.

On the cars I looked at so far, the thing was at such an angle that water would not collect there or go down the neck. My current car has more of a chance at getting water down the filler neck. Or snow, or leaves, etc., so every time I wash the car, I wash out the filler area, and it drains completely.

thxZ

Edited by TomoHawk

I have that on my Mazda tribute (Ford Escape) and love it. You wouldn't think something so simple would be all that big of an improvement, but it is nice. I haven't seen any water on top of the valve so far and I have been through plenty of heavy rain.