IGNORED

Packing tape on paint

conedodger

From what you post, you may have the original ALKYD ENAMEL paint which has started to chalk up.

That you are "removing paint", is more than likely oxidized paint from the top layers that is being removed by your rubbing and yes, exacerbated by the Goof Off, Goo Gone, and Tar and Sap remover. If you were to use a "restorative" wax product, you'd find the same results but you would likely at least have some shine left.

Just supposing, you might also be dealing with old oxidized Lacquer or one of the other enamel configurations.

E

Thanks, E for the input. I have actually never used the products I mentioned on my Z except for the wd40. The sap remover I tried on my friend's 91 Jeep Wrangler. The Jeep is white, and the blue towel soon turned white. The sap was still on the hood :tapemouth

My other friends were removing pinstriping from their cars and the Goof off and Goo Gone were removing the black and red paint from their cars. We found the 3M wheels for adhesive and pinstriping and made good use of those.

I'm not well versed on paint past a basic understanding of a single stage paint job and a base/clear style paint job. Here is CA, I understand everything is going water based

:beer:

I use mineral spirits for a lot of things. The stuff is great for removing goo, road tar, overspray (ever get oversprayed, through no fault of your own?), and even adhesive from urethane-based paints. I wouldn't use it on any non-polymer paint, though.