IGNORED

New clutch and slave cylinder stroke too short

geokr

Hi all. I replaced the clutch master and slave cylinders and now have grinding in all gears, including reverse. It's a '76 280 with a new 5-speed installed (original was 4-speed). I searched and found several posts about this problem but think it's not an adjustment thing. The factory manual says the stroke on the slave should be 1 3/4 inch but I'm only getting around 1 inch. Checked pedal travel and freeplay and they're all good. Also added a short spacer between the slave rod and the clutch lever but it didn't help much and I'm concerned that it might cause the bearing to be constantly engaged. Bled it many times, of course. Seems that the stroke is just too short. Anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this? Is this an incompatible replacement part problem? Tried several slaves, aftermarket and Genuine Nissan and they're all the same. Stumped.....

Edited by geokr

Yep - as far as I can. I think that either the replacement slave or master just doesn't have enough stroke and am wondering if it's an unsuitable replacement. Wished I'd have kept the one on the original transmission. Or, it might be that the new five speed needs a different master cylinder than the original. Just got me scratchin' my head.....

Nice looking 240 by the way....