IGNORED

Repainting a Z

ZCarLife

I am looking to buy a 280z right now and found one that I like pretty well that isn't that far from me. The only thing about it is that the color is not one I like! The paint is about 5 years old and is in good condition (meaning it does not need to be repainted). I have two questions :

1. Would it devalue the car to repaint it again? It's been kept pretty stock, which is what I'm looking for.

2. How much are we talking about to repaint a car at a quality place where the work is good? I don't believe the car has any known rust, and the color I want would be a color from that year model..

Thanks for any help on this!

-C

Any color change that is not done "completely" will significantly reduce the value for many Z enthusiasts. And doing it "completely" means stripping the car to a bare body shell so that it can be painted inside and out. That's an expensive paint job.

My advice would be to either live with the color you find, or if you truly can't live with it wait for a color you can stand.

im about to paint my Gold faded 280z into a black glossy paint. only the exterior. yes this is a big problem if you wanna sell the car because it is not the original paint anymore (not the original color). but if you wanna keep it like me forever, then that's fine.

they charge me $1000 here in CA including fixing all the dents, filling all the holes from. removed the old exterior paint. and painting also the door jams and the hatch door. it's not a one day paint.

When it was painted 5 years ago, was it painted the same original color, or was the color changed. If the color was changed, did they repaint the engine bay or is the car "two tone" If the color has already been changed, then repainting it probably won't devalue the car. On another note, how long do you plan to own the car, and will painting it a color YOU like increase the cars value to you...

I changed the color of my Z and I love it this way. In terms of resale value, based on the response I get when people see the car I would say that I doubled it's value, every time I take it out, at least one person asks me if it's for sale (I attached a pict for you).

post-18081-14150808401111_thumb.jpg

In terms of resale value, based on the response I get when people see the car I would say that I doubled it's value, every time I take it out, at least one person asks me if it's for sale (I attached a pict for you).

I wouldn't say that doubled the value just b/c the responses. Not too mention 90% of the people that asked if it is for sale probably don't even have the money. People talk ya know. I have been guilty of that a number of times.

Changing the color will almost always de-value the car if it is a classic. Unless as stated before, the car is completely gutted and fully re-painted by a pro (inside and out). Even then... changing the color will still de-value the car to the purists.

Even quality paintjobs in the same color can bring the value down. Especially if you don't have lots of photos showing the process. I know if I look at a classic car that has been recently painted, it definitely makes me think twice about it. New paint on a car for sale is generally a cover up. I always prefer a car with original paint as you never know how much bondo lurks under a respray.

never buy a car that has been primed unless you see lots of photos of the prep work!!!!

That being said, it's your car. I don't buy cars for re-sale so I have no problem with changing the color. Even if I do, I am anal and a camera whore. So I do things right and take lots of photographs of the "process"

Just my $.02

Edited by five&dime

I wouldn't say that doubled the value just b/c the responses. Not too mention 90% of the people that asked if it is for sale probably don't even have the money.

Just my $.02

I'm not interested in debating this, but you and I may live in different zip codes. ;)

Relatively speaking, these cars aren't that expensive, we are not doubling the value of a Ferrari. We are not talking about the cars historical value, we are talking about it's resale value, which in many cases may represent nothing more than a couple thousand dollars.

Regarding documentation of a paint job, it's really easy to take a few before, during, and after pictures to show the condition and work done. Again, we are not talking about selling the car through Barrett Jackson. Most of these cars get sold through ebay, craigslist ect. for a few thousand bucks.

It costs a heck of a lot more to own one of these cars then it's resale value. Make your Z something your proud of owning and driving. You're probably not going to be able to sell one of these at a profit so just don't worry about it. Hey, if the cars already been painted "without documentation", based on what I just read, it sounds to me like most of your historical value is significantly diminished anyway, so go turn your Z into something your REALLY going to enjoy (and take some pictures along the way). That's what I did and I don't regret it for even one second.

I wasn't trying to debate either :) I apologize if I offended you. The OP asked about resale and I thought your answer may have given the OP a false impression of an answer to his question about "resale"

which in many cases may represent nothing more than a couple thousand dollars.

I agree with you here but even a few hundred dollars may be a lot to many people. I didn't mean historical value. Historical value means squat IMO (unless you are talking about a hemi cuda, 60's ferrari's or dusenbergs etc). B/c it's all about what people will pay not what a book says it's worth. I am only talking about resale as the OP asked.

Regarding documentation of a paint job, it's really easy to take a few before, during, and after pictures to show the condition and work done.

True. Very easy. Yet many if not most people don't do it. They should!!!

I figured since he was "looking" at a car that he may also be looking at others that aren't a color of his liking. I also imgaine the title of this thread will probably be searched by others in the future which is why I tried to give a blanket opinion on the topic

It costs a heck of a lot more to own one of these cars then it's resale value. Make your Z something your proud of owning and driving. You're probably not going to be able to sell one of these at a profit so just don't worry about it. Hey, if the cars already been painted "without documentation", based on what I just read, it sounds to me like most of your historical value is significantly diminished anyway, so go turn your Z into something your REALLY going to enjoy (and take some pictures along the way). That's what I did and I don't regret it for even one second.

I totally agree with you here which is why I said "That being said, it's your car. I don't buy cars for re-sale so I have no problem with changing the color."

I think we are both on the same page though and again I am sorry if I offended :beer:

Edited by five&dime

I wouldn't say that doubled the value just b/c the responses. Not too mention 90% of the people that asked if it is for sale probably don't even have the money. People talk ya know. I have been guilty of that a number of times.

Too true - can't tell you how many people have asked about my car (it's for sale) and did nothing but kick the tires... :mad:

Thank you for the imput on this subject. I understand everything that was said, and to tell the history of this car, the car already has been repainted, like I mentioned, 5 years ago (it's a 78).. I have seen enough pictures to tell that it was painted completely, so there is nothing showing of the original paint. The original paint is the same color it is now.

I am not sure if I want to sell the car in the future, but most likely not unless I am desperate for money (it will be a second car). My son who is 5 said that he wants us to keep whatever car we get so that he can drive it when he's an adult.

I am thinking that my own happiness with the car probably means more than the money, it's just that these cars are quite rare (especially to find in the condition that you want, and even more rare, the color that you want). I guess that because it is within driving distance (3.5 hrs away) I should at least check it out... My own personal taste with what I am looking to do with my z is keeping it mostly classic, but having a few more modern additions (such as cd player, tinted windows, headlight covers). I want the car to be classic with a little bit of modernization.

Thanks for the imput, I'm still interested in knowing about how much new paint costs (doing it without taking the whole car apart where you can tell it's been painted when you look in certain places, and also doing it where every single thing is painted).

-C

Last year I stripped my 240Z as far as I could while still having it drivable. Most of the interior except the dash and the driver's seat, all glass and everything from the outside of the car. I had them paint the whole car including the underside of the tailgate, all door and hatch jambs. Since I was staying with the factory color, I did not have the interior or the engine compartment painted.

My car has/had no rust, no significant previous repairs to re-do, and only minor door dings to be corrected.

I did not ask for (nor receive) a "show-quality" job. I drive my car frequently, and it will acquire rock chips and other flaws as time goes on, so painting to "show standards" would be a total waste. What I asked for (and got) was a very nice paint job suitable for everyday use. It looks great, but a few flaws can be seen if you know where to look.

By the time it was all said and done (new windshield, complete new weatherstrip and other rubber bits, etc.) I paid about $5000 while doing the disassembly and reassembly myself. Any rust or repair work yours needs, or any prep and reassembly you don't do yourself will add considerably to that.

attachment.php?attachmentid=23176&d=1210909708

attachment.php?attachmentid=23315&d=1211253182

attachment.php?attachmentid=23582&d=1212366270