IGNORED

zx 5 speed rebuild

ROCKNHARD

is it possible for a garage hack with very little trans experience and ALOT of spare time to rebuild my gearbox myself?? i installed my 82zx engine and trans into my 71 240 and now want to fix my 2nd gear synchro problem. seems on 1-2 upshift there is a very brief grind with the clutch, impossible without. i have replaced slave cylinder (was leaking in the zx) and properly bled the system. grind is/was present in both cars, don't believe it's the clutch master cylinder.

sorry if i'm in the wrong forum, but most racers i know do or have done their own mechanical work. if you think i could fix/rebuild my gearbox, where do i get the technical books and parts for a good performance-autocross build.

thanks in advance for any positive feedback. my first post EVER!:stupid:

Yes. Download the Factory Service Manual (FSM) from www.carfiche.com. It walks you through the whole process.

The one thing you'll need is a way to torque the main shaft nut. I thought my ex-boss had a pretty good solution there. He cut his socket in half and welded in a section of tube so that he had a 2' long socket. Then you just put it on a regular torque wrench...

is it possible for a garage hack with very little trans experience and ALOT of spare time to rebuild my gearbox myself?? i installed my 82zx engine and trans into my 71 240 and now want to fix my 2nd gear synchro problem. seems on 1-2 upshift there is a very brief grind with the clutch, impossible without. i have replaced slave cylinder (was leaking in the zx) and properly bled the system. grind is/was present in both cars, don't believe it's the clutch master cylinder.

sorry if i'm in the wrong forum, but most racers i know do or have done their own mechanical work. if you think i could fix/rebuild my gearbox, where do i get the technical books and parts for a good performance-autocross build.

OK I have some photo of the trans rebulding. The pictures are 280ZX trans. you are talking about. You will need hand-press and big table(bench).

You need to order trans rebuilt kit that has bearings, bushings, and seals. Also syscros for all the gears to avoid feature problem.

Esprist

post-16910-14150808222646_thumb.jpg

post-16910-1415080822274_thumb.jpg

post-16910-14150808222817_thumb.jpg

post-16910-14150808222904_thumb.jpg

is it possible for a garage hack with very little trans experience and ALOT of spare time to rebuild my gearbox myself??
Yes. A good factory manual that covers the transmission in question is essential. But past that, I'd probably rather do a transmission than an engine.

post-8596-14150808247654_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150808247992_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150808248196_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150808248487_thumb.jpg

Try some searches, there were some very good rebuilding posts by a member both here and on Hybridz, wanna say his user name was hisandhers on both sites.

To reiterate, quite often simply replacing the brass synchros themselves won't entirely cure the grinding problem as the synchro hub springs tend to "relax" over time. Zdoctor - last I checked he hung out on zcar.com, sells some stiffer stainless replacement springs. I picked up a set from him but have yet to use them and can't offer any first hand experience.

Here's his website, but last time I tried to contact him the email listed was invalid: http://www.thezdoctor.com/

EDIT: Welcome BTW!

Edited by preith
forgot to welcome