IGNORED

17" rims too big for a Stock 240Z? (pic's inside)

logan1

I found a set of Jaguar rims that I really like and wanted to use on my 70 240Z. The body work of the car is stock. The rims are 17"x8" and should have no problem with clearance/rubbing. But I am not to sure as to whether or not they look disproportionately big for the car.

Please give me your opinion on 17” wheels for a 240Z. If you are running 17” wheels on your S30 please post a picture so I can see approximately what it would look like.

My car is going to be painted a beautiful white with lots of pearl. Below are a few pictures of the rims.

3kb3p23lfZZZZZZZZZ97v5b442394efc216.jpg

3kf3m93o6ZZZZZZZZZ97v8d670f5afd6119.jpg

3m53ob3pdZZZZZZZZZ97v5f554b4661f710.jpg

As long as the tires don't hit the fenders, I think it's a matter of personal choice.

Personally, I prefer the more "classic" look of 14" & 15" rims, and have 15" panasports on mine.

However, it's quickly becoming difficult to find performance tires for wheels below 16". I fully expect to have to switch to 16" rims in a few years.

Personally, I prefer the more "classic" look of 14" & 15" rims, and have 15" panasports on mine.
I'm with Julio on this. The older cars look best with tall sidewalls and small rims, IMO.

If you do go 17", to not look silly the car needs to be lowered like the one in the post above. Visually, the fender gap should be no larger than the sidewalls. So the lower profile you go, the less fender gap you want to keep things optically pleasing. 17" on my car that is almost stock height would look monumentally stupid, but when lowered enough to suit the tire height (as pictured above), they don't look out of place at all.

One more problem with larger wheels and tires is weight. The bigger the wheel/tire plus more rotational inertia equals slower acceleration. Weight is the number one killer of performance.

Even when they weigh the same by concentrating the mass near the outer circumference the rotational inertia increases. This will not only slow you down as you noted but can also make steering less "crisp" as your new big heavy gyroscopes don't want to change direction in response to steering inputs. It also increases unsprung weight, if you have chosen a heavy wheel/tire combo, which reduces the ability of your suspension to keep the tires planted on the road.

Steve

With an appropriate offset, via custom fabricated wheel spacers, I've managed to get 17x8 (F) and 17x9 ® on my 240, with stock fender wells, without issue. However, my rear tire size is limited without raising the chassis. Arne is so right on the tire to fender gap! Take a look at my 240 in the members gallery under 240ZX. What do you think?

Tom

I don't think there is anything wrong with 17" wheels. Its probably the limit that will look great on a Z, but I have seen some 18" look killer as well. Personally I think that it needs to have a nice lip in order to not look out of place. But thats just personal preference I guess.

I guess classic car enthusiasts usually are split pretty equally on keeping the time period correct look and blending the retro with the modern.

Here is my 280z with 17x8.5 Rota RB-R

img00604.jpg

With an appropriate offset, via custom fabricated wheel spacers, I've managed to get 17x8 (F) and 17x9 ® on my 240, with stock fender wells, without issue. However, my rear tire size is limited without raising the chassis. Arne is so right on the tire to fender gap! Take a look at my 240 in the members gallery under 240ZX. What do you think?

Tom

I like those. Who is the manufacturer?

I love my retro cool 14" Wats but I think anything I get as an alternate wheel is going to something over-the-top like a modular Compomotive or CCW in 15"-17"

I found a set of Jaguar rims that I really like and wanted to use on my 70 240Z. The body work of the car is stock. The rims are 17"x8" and should have no problem with clearance/rubbing. But I am not to sure as to whether or not they look disproportionately big for the car.

Please give me your opinion on 17” wheels for a 240Z. If you are running 17” wheels on your S30 please post a picture so I can see approximately what it would look like.

My car is going to be painted a beautiful white with lots of pearl. Below are a few pictures of the rims.

3kb3p23lfZZZZZZZZZ97v5b442394efc216.jpg

3kf3m93o6ZZZZZZZZZ97v8d670f5afd6119.jpg

3m53ob3pdZZZZZZZZZ97v5f554b4661f710.jpg

17X7 Centerline's with 245/45/17 tires all around.

They have been on the car before any modifications were done (other than lowering).

post-16640-14150807915173_thumb.jpg

post-16640-14150807915304_thumb.jpg

post-16640-14150807915434_thumb.jpg

After doing a lot of research i have decided not to use the 5 lug adapters on my car as it would put unnecessary stress on my wheel bearings.

So i will be going with 4 lug rims on the 240Z.

If there a difference between rims for Front wheel drive and rear wheel drive car?

What do you guys think of17" Motegi wheels? Does Motegi Racing make good wheels?

wheel2.jpg

Edited by logan1