IGNORED

how do i go fast??!!?!?!?

skater8j8

• 1 year later...

I had a quote for a pro built straight 6 - including clutch and flywheel to get 285BHP was £13,000 so about $18,500 give or take.

A BRAND NEW Edlebrock Performer SmallBlock Chevy running 420BHP and 418ft lbs of torque, BRAND NEW Borg Warner T56 six speed, clutch and lightened flywheel was only £8,000 so $12,000 give or take. This included Edelbrock carb, air filter etc etc just no distributor.

Bear in mind the massive power difference and the fact that the new engine and box have warranty, the ease of sticking in a V8 and it becomes a simple choice if you like brute force and ignorance in the way your car drives. They can be made to handle just like a standard 6 as well if you use the right bits.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

I am also new to the club and have owned Z's and various other sports cars. I would also agree with John Coffey. If you're going to do mdoifications then do it right.

I have an 88 Rx7 with a 93 Mustang V8 in it and swap was alot of work. After the car was runnning there were alot of other little things that needed attention, even with little things the dollars add up. A V8 swap done properly will be expensive even if you can do alot of the work yourself. An RB swap done properly is also gonna cost BIG dollars and be tones of work.

After all if all you wanna do is kick a little honda arse you don't have to go WAY WAY out there. And remember that you should always go fast, safe and reliable, as this is your first car and daily driver. Once you get more driving (racing) experience then by all means go for the BIG HP.

Thats just my 2 cents worth, no offence to anyone.

Always drive safely and buck up,

Alex G

You guys forget that a V-8 weights a lot more than a straight 6, and that the Z was NEVER designed to use a V-8. You will throw off your suspension geometery (even with new struts and coilovers, your toe angles and chamber will be totally wrong) and the car won't be able to turn worth crap. It will be a a straight-line queen and nothing more.

And for all you V-8 lovers out there- one word: over rated. The new Ford Mustang with it's 3-valve, 300-horse V-8 can't outrun a new Lotus Elise. And what does the Elise have? A puny 1.8 liter , 190bhp in-line 4. Yes, it's naturally aspriated too, so don't cry foul. And the Stang wouldn't even be able to dream about handling with the Lotus, so forget that too. Superior engineering wins any day that ends in Y.

And please no one say NOS!!! That's what all the ricers say, it isn't a word, it's an abbreviation, N.O.S.!!! You say it as 3 seperate letters. Or at least just say nitrous. And, maybe it's just me, but I don't trust a high schooler who apprently doesn't even know how to spend his own money or type worth sh*t using nitrous on the street racing another dumb f*ck in a Civic going 120 plus. If nothing else, save it for the track! I have seen way too many people get hurt or KILLED because they street race, and, quite honestly, can't handle their car.

You want horsepower? Get between 200-250 rear wheel ponies and it will be plently to earn you your fair share of speeding tickets, and if you must, some "respect" by racing the other kids in Honda's. I'm serious- I think horsepower is under rated. People don't realize how much power 250 horses at the rear wheels is, especially in a light car like the Z which weights around 2500 pounds- and this kid has a 240, and being if it's a very early 240, it could weight as little 2200 lbs. A Miata weights that much! Power-to-weight-ratio, people! I'm deing here, oooooh!!!

Okay, I'm gonna go down a 5th of Vodka and when I come back there better be either some more logical posts. And maybe the kid how started this thread could come back and actually post a reply? Or did he just realize how stupid he is and is too embrassed to come back? How bout that drink.........

Dave

The kid that started this thread has probably grown up a little by now considering that it was over two years ago. John Coffey hasn't posted on this site for quite some time now (that's a shame, I'd really rather hear from him then some kid dreaming about having enough horsepower to smoke a Honda). But at any rate I don't think the kid thought he was too stupid or was too embarrased to come back. I think reality just set in. When you return from that vodka-induced fog, the world will still be the same. What kind of logic are you looking for?

You guys forget that a V-8 weights a lot more than a straight 6, and that the Z was NEVER designed to use a V-8.

Dave

Never, huh. So why did nissan fit a V8 to a 240z and test it in the development stage?

Sure they never went ahead and produced a V8 Z, but they did test a S30 chassis with a President V8 motor. They concluded that a V8 would be detrimental to the handling of the Z.

Anyway, that was a iron block V8. Modern V8's are alloy and don't weight too much more than a L6.

how do i go fast??!!?!?!?
Uhmmm...depress far right pedal to floor ?? ROFL Sorry I couldn't resist I'll now go read the thread LOL

Edit: Well after reading the thread and now knowing it was started 2 years ago and the priginal poster disappeared apparently,.. I wont add anything else. :stupid:

• 1 month later...