IGNORED

My '71 240z

Hello,

I'm kinda new to the Z world although I actually bought it about 5 years ago. Originally i bought my car from a girl who had it. It was her daily driver, her dad had bought it for her. The seems to have had orange paint. It has mesh wheels unknown brand (14's). It says E88 on the engine. When I bought the car the entire engine bay was black, completely covered in oil. The entire inside of the hood and even the battery was covered in oil. First thing I did was get rid of most of the oil that I could.

I would run fine until one day the metal fan broke apart after one start early in the morning. The fan blades cut through my hood, my wires, the side of the fender and a few other places. I was able to fix some of the wires etc and got it running.

Later my brakes went out. I had someone redo the entire brake setup, stock form, just new brake pads, discs, shoes, lines, master cylinder etc.

I don't know a whole lot about Z's. I would just fix things as the started breaking. Out of so much money spent/frustration, I had even considered just junking the poor thing. So, recently I started looking up online for info, because I was just thinking about stripping the car and swaping the engine.

Car VIN# HLS30-10152

Build date: 9/70

Milage: Unknown but its the original engine according to the owner.

Color: Red

Original Color: Orange

Anyways, if anybody would like to give some ideas I would appreciate it. I have a cousin that suggested swapping engine to a 280zx turbo.

I will have pictures of shortly, once I figure out how to post them.

Based on the severity of the rust on the dogled, I'd thoroughly check out your front frame rails, where they mount to the firewall, as well as the area below and behind your battery tray, and the wheel well area on the opposite sode of the battery tray. These common areas for rust, some of which include important structural areas. I also notices that you appear to be missing one of your brake booster hoses and check valve. Normally one hos somes off of the booster, to the check valve, and then from the check valve to the manifold vacuum port.

Go here and scroll down the link for "Common Rust Area's On 240-Z's" for a reference to the areas I'm referring to: www.zhome.com.

Based on the severity of the rust on the dogled, I'd thoroughly check out your front frame rails, where they mount to the firewall, as well as the area below and behind your battery tray, and the wheel well area on the opposite sode of the battery tray. These common areas for rust, some of which include important structural areas. I also notices that you appear to be missing one of your brake booster hoses and check valve. Normally one hos somes off of the booster, to the check valve, and then from the check valve to the manifold vacuum port.

Go here and scroll down the link for "Common Rust Area's On 240-Z's" for a reference to the areas I'm referring to: www.zhome.com.

Thanks for the info.. The link you provided didnt work for me.

The dog legs are quite commonly rusted on the 240-Z's - there are patch panels made to repair them. Not a huge deal. We'd have to see more of the body, the floorboards and frame rails as mentioned...

Also, you would want to know if the original engine is still in the car - check the engine serial number below the #6 spark plug on the BLOCK.. and see if that number matches the data on the data tag under the hood - it is screwed to the shock tower.

Looks like it would be capable of being brought back to life... It would take a lot of work and money however...

FWIW,

Carl B.

Why is it so important if its the original engine on the car?

Only if you strive for originality and restoring your Z to the condition it was in when it came off the boat. There will be those who will say it adds to the value when it comes time to sell. Otherwise, it will be just as much fun. It all depends on your intentions with the car.

Dennis