IGNORED

A review of what's gone - period 240Z exhausts

Arne

What about just cutting off the tips, rotating them 90 deg, and welding them back on? I haven't looked at these so I don't know if it feasible. Just a thought. You wouldn't get that slashed look but it's better than horizontal tips on a Z.
The Twice pipes rear mufflers and pipes are bent and pre-welded in the horizontal orientation. I think they do that to accommodate the 280Z, which needs the horizontal tips. No easy way to change it.
How about Stebro Arne?
Good call, Mike. Stebro had slipped my mind. I've added it in above too, so that it's all in one place.

Not sure if this counts, but last year I was able to get a hold of a new, out of production TRUST header and dual exhaust system from Japan. My mechanic at Shinzo Auto Service installed them yesterday and called me because he was worried that I might not like it because of the loudness. He revved the engine over the phone and it was awesome. I'm heading down there this weekend to see and hear it in person. Shinzo said that it sounded just like his race-prepped 240--which put a very big smile on my face:) Here are some photos.
An interesting system. Probably not generally available here in the USA back in the '70s, but a great find today.

From another thread I believe I have a Clifford header. It came with a fabbed up Y-pipe that I was going to use to mate to the exhaust I got from the same person. I bet a good muffler shop reproduce the original design without much difficulty. A nice future project perhaps. I really wonder how it sounds and if it wouldn't benefit from a nice crossover/x-pipe

post-18904-14150807512863_thumb.jpg

From another thread I believe I have a Clifford header. It came with a fabbed up Y-pipe that I was going to use to mate to the exhaust I got from the same person. I bet a good muffler shop reproduce the original design without much difficulty. A nice future project perhaps. I really wonder how it sounds and if it wouldn't benefit from a nice crossover/x-pipe
Yes, that looks like a Clifford. The Clifford-style system shouldn't be hard to duplicate. As for the cross-over possibility, there are some theoretical benefits to NOT having a cross-over, and leaving the two as true dual pipes all the way to the end.

Yes, that looks like a Clifford. The Clifford-style system shouldn't be hard to duplicate. As for the cross-over possibility, there are some theoretical benefits to NOT having a cross-over, and leaving the two as true dual pipes all the way to the end.

Thanks, I'm mostly familiar with the muscle car exhausts. A few years back H-pipes and X-pipes came in style because they were supposedly good for a few horsepower (scavenging benefits?). My old Camaro had true duals, no h-pipe or x-pipe and I was perfectly happy with it :)

Thanks, I'm mostly familiar with the muscle car exhausts. A few years back H-pipes and X-pipes came in style because they were supposedly good for a few horsepower (scavenging benefits?). My old Camaro had true duals, no h-pipe or x-pipe and I was perfectly happy with it :)
I should have said that "there are some theoretical benefits to NOT having a cross-over on an inline six, and leaving the two as true dual pipes all the way to the end."

I should have said that "there are some theoretical benefits to NOT having a cross-over on an inline six, and leaving the two as true dual pipes all the way to the end."

I figured that is what you were implying. L6 vs a sbc is apples and cucumbers, completely different setups.

I'm enjoying learning a new engine and new world in the Z's. I also love the universal respect people have for these cars. The import guys like them, and the muscle car guys like them and all have stories about 'when they came out'.

:beer:

• 1 month later...

Great post Arne. After reading this and a few other posts, I decided to go with a Monza system because I saw it still in the catalog for Black Dragon. However when I tried to add it to my basket, I came up dry, not currently available. I should state I was attempting to get a system for a 280 btw.

I got on Ebay and found the system listed for $39 less and snagged one up. It was delivered today. Not sure how it will look bolted up as I havent been able to find a pic of one installed, (horizontal tips on the 280) but figured it was that or the MSA system and I really dont like the look of that huge oval hanging down.

There was nothing wrong with my current setup, just a bit too quiet. One thing that concerns me on the Monza system for the 280 is they claim it is a "cat back" system for use with a catalyst or non-catalyst car. I am hoping they mean it bolts up to the front muffler of my car as I have a non-catalyst model.