IGNORED

New member intro, help

Hello everyone. I just joined tonight for good reason. My brother and I started working on my '72 tonight. I bought the car in Feb. '09 and before that it sat since '82 in a garage. Although the body and frame have little rust, I discoverd tonight that the bolts in the head and block are a different story.

I purchased a new set of MSA headers Saturday so we began removing parts tonight. The exhaust manifold and pipe is original all the way back to the muffler. Needless to say, its pretty much garbage.

I noticed before I bought the car that one of the thermostat housing bolts had sheared off. Tonight we tried to drill it and extract it without luck. I however doubled my trouble when I tried to remove the other and it sheared.

More liquid wrench???? Does anyone have any ideas?

Casey,

Some pictures might help us give you better suggestions. I'm assuming you are trying to remove the whole housing from the block and not just the top of the housing (where you would change the thermostat.

Also, you didn't say if when you drilled the first bolt if the reverse tap broke off in the bolt. What didn't work? Next, with both bolts sheared off, are you able to get the housing off? Assuming this is the whole housing and not just the top part, are the bolts visible or did they shear at the block?

Ok, enough questions. I think you'll find plenty of people here who will be glad to help, but the more information you provide the better the advice will be!

Best,

Bob

Consider us Verbal idiots. A picture and good description can mean the difference between the right and totally wrong "Fix advice"

There are 4 bolts on the thermostat housing, 2 on top and 2 holding the main housing to the head. Which 2 are you refering too?

Bob,

Good questions. I am trying to remove the entire housing from the block. The screw extractor would grip some but not enough to back it out. I think it must be rusted in the head. We drilled into the bolt almost to the block. We haven't tried to back the second bolt out. We hope that if we spray liquid wrench a few times, it may penetrate and work with time.

post-19502-14150807428818_thumb.jpg

post-19502-14150807431915_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaseyByrd72
Photo added

Casey,

Ok, good start. If both bolt heads are sheared off, you can probably remove the housing. It's more than likely stuck to the head by the gasket or gasket sealer, but you should be able to work it off. Just pry gently from side to side until it breaks loose.

Once you do that, it sounds like you'll have the bolts showing and you can work with them with vise grips. I'd try some liquid wrench or Kroil on the bolts overnight at least before you start trying to get them out.

Bob

P.S. Whatever you do, don't break the screw extractor off in the bolt, especially if the bolt is sheared at the block. That can get expensive to fix!!!

Hey, just saw the pictures. I think if you tap the housing with a rubber mallet or hammer on each side a few times, it will break loose. Don't pound it. Just work it off. From the look of the fittings, you've got some rust issues for sure!

Bob

Edited by bobc
Added content

If it's at all possible, give it a smack with a hammer. Not too hard but enough to break loose any rust that may be locking the bolt in place. Let the bolt soak for no less than 1 hour before attempting to remove it. Or overnight as stated above.

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

Nope, the housing is not threaded. Smooth bore that the bolts go through to the block. Also, when I said pry, I didn't mean to stick a screwdriver or other tool between the housing and the block. You're working with aluminum and you don't want to score it. You'll end up with a anti-freeze leak later.

Edited by bobc
Added content

Casey,

I've got to run now, but I'm going to send you a private message with my phone number in it. I'm in California, so I'm 3 hours behind you. If you need anything, just call me up until 10:30pm. Otherwise tomorrow.

You can find the PM (private message) box up in the upper right hand corner of the screeen. If you click on it you should see my message.

Bob